• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Seabolt

Vulkan What are your opinions on DX12/Vulkan/Mantle?

This topic is 1136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm pretty torn on what to think about it. On one hand being able to write the implementations for a lot of the resource management and command processing allows for a lot of gains, and for a much better management of the rendering across a lot of hardware. Also all the threading support is going to be fantastic.

But on the other hand, accepting that burden will vastly increase the cost to maintain a platform and the amount of time to fully port. I understand that a lot of it can be ported piece by piece, but it seems like the amount of time necessary to even meet the performance of, say, dx12 is on the order of man weeks. 

I feel like to fully support these APIs I need to almost abandon the previous APIs support in my engine since the veil is so much thinner, otherwise I'll just end up adding the same amount of abstraction that DX11 does already, kind of defeating the point.

What are your opinions?

Advertisement

I feel like to fully support these APIs I need to almost abandon the previous APIs support in my engine since the veil is so much thinner, otherwise I'll just end up adding the same amount of abstraction that DX11 does already, kind of defeating the point.

That's highly unlikely. One of the reasons the classical APIs are so slow is that they have to do a whole lot of rule validation. When you google an OpenGL function and you see that whole list of things that an argument is allowed to be, what happens when something goes wrong, etc, then the drivers have to actually validate that at runtime (to actually fulfill the language spec requirements correctly, but also to prevent you from crashing the GPU). That is because drivers can't make many assumptions about the context that you execute those API calls in. When you write a game engine with DX12 or Vulkan, that's not true. As the programmer you typically have complete knowledge of the relevant context and can make many assumptions, thus you can skip a whole lot of work that a classical OpenGL driver would have to do.

In addition to that multithreading in DX11 and OpenGL 4.x is still very crappy (although I'm not sure why) and with the new APIs you will be able to actually use multiple cores to do rendering API stuff for more than just 5% gains. 

Thinking about it, it's kinda like C++ vs a more managed language like Java or C#. Similar concepts, of course extremely similar execution context, but one gives more control, is a more precise abstraction of the hardware, but enables you to shoot yourself in the foot more (and in return is faster).

Edited by agleed

In addition to that multithreading in DX11 and OpenGL 4.x is still very crappy (although I'm not sure why)

OpenGL doesnt really provide any mean for multithreading even in 4.4. OpenGL context belongs to a single thread who can issue rendering command. That's what vulkan/DX12 are tackling by the "command buffer" object that can be created on any thread (although they have to be commited to the command queue which seems to belong to a single thread only).

Actually there are way to do kindof multithreading in OpenGL 4 : you can share a context between thread, that's used to load texture asynchronously for instance, but I've heard that this is really inefficient. There is also glBufferStorage + IndirectDraw which allows you to access a buffer of instanced data that can be written like any others buffer, eg concurrently.

But it's not as powerful as what Vulkan or DX12 which allow to issue any command and not just instanced ones.

In addition to that multithreading in DX11 and OpenGL 4.x is still very crappy (although I'm not sure why)

OpenGL doesnt really provide any mean for multithreading even in 4.4. OpenGL context belongs to a single thread who can issue rendering command. That's what vulkan/DX12 are tackling by the "command buffer" object that can be created on any thread (although they have to be commited to the command queue which seems to belong to a single thread only).

Actually there are way to do kindof multithreading in OpenGL 4 : you can share a context between thread, that's used to load texture asynchronously for instance, but I've heard that this is really inefficient. There is also glBufferStorage + IndirectDraw which allows you to access a buffer of instanced data that can be written like any others buffer, eg concurrently.

But it's not as powerful as what Vulkan or DX12 which allow to issue any command and not just instanced ones.

Yes, but I'm more interested in what prevented driver implementors to get proper multithreading support into the APIs in the first place. DX11 has the concept of command lists too and it's kind of working, but practical gains from it are pretty small. I don't know what about the APIs (or the implementations of the drivers) prevents proper multithreading from working in DX11 and GL4.x

Yes.
But it depends. For example if you were doing AZDO OpenGL, many of the concepts will already be familiar to you.
However, for example, AZDO never dealt with textures as thin as Vulkan or D3D12 do so you'll need to refactor those.
If you weren't following AZDO, then it's highly likely that the way you were using the old APIs is incompatible with the new says.

Actually there are way to do kindof multithreading in OpenGL 4 : (...). There is also glBufferStorage + IndirectDraw which allows you to access a buffer of instanced data that can be written like any others buffer, eg concurrently.

Actually DX12 & Vulkan are exactly following the same path glBufferStorage + IndirectDraw did. It just got easier, made thiner, and can now handle other misc aspects from within multiple cores (texture binding, shader compilation, barrier preparation, etc).

The rest was covered by Promit's excellent post.

Actually there are way to do kindof multithreading in OpenGL 4 : (...). There is also glBufferStorage + IndirectDraw which allows you to access a buffer of instanced data that can be written like any others buffer, eg concurrently.

Actually DX12 & Vulkan are exactly following the same path glBufferStorage + IndirectDraw did. It just got easier, made thiner, and can now handle other misc aspects from within multiple cores (texture binding, shader compilation, barrier preparation, etc).

There is something I don't really understand in Vulkan/DX12, it's the "descriptor" object. Apparently it acts as a gpu readable data chunk that hold texture pointer/size/layout and sampler info, but I don't understand the descriptor set/pool concept work, this sounds a lot like array of bindless texture handle to me.

There is something I don't really understand in Vulkan/DX12, it's the "descriptor" object. Apparently it acts as a gpu readable data chunk that hold texture pointer/size/layout and sampler info, but I don't understand the descriptor set/pool concept work, this sounds a lot like array of bindless texture handle to me.

Without going into detail; it's because only AMD & NVIDIA cards support bindless textures in their hardware, there's one major Desktop vendor that doesn't support it even though it's DX11 HW. Also take in mind both Vulkan & DX12 want to support mobile hardware as well.
You will have to give the API a table of textures based on frequency of updates: One blob of textures for those that change per material, one blob of textures for those that rarely change (e.g. environment maps), and another blob of textures that don't change (e.g. shadow maps).
It's very analogous to how we have been doing constant buffers with shaders (provide different buffers based on frequency of update).
And you put those blobs into a bigger blob and tell the API "I want to render with this big blob which is a collection of blobs of textures"; so the API can translate this very well to all sorts of hardware (mobile, Intel on desktop, and bindless like AMD's and NVIDIA's).

If all hardware were bindless, this set/pool wouldn't be needed because you could change one texture anywhere with minimal GPU overhead like you do in OpenGL4 with bindless texture extensions.
Nonetheless this descriptor pool set is also useful for non-texture stuff, (e.g. anything that requires binding, like constant buffers). It is quite generic. Edited by Matias Goldberg

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!