• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By mark_braga
      I have a pretty good experience with multi gpu programming in D3D12. Now looking at Vulkan, although there are a few similarities, I cannot wrap my head around a few things due to the extremely sparse documentation (typical Khronos...)
      In D3D12 -> You create a resource on GPU0 that is visible to GPU1 by setting the VisibleNodeMask to (00000011 where last two bits set means its visible to GPU0 and GPU1)
      In Vulkan - I can see there is the VkBindImageMemoryDeviceGroupInfoKHR struct which you add to the pNext chain of VkBindImageMemoryInfoKHR and then call vkBindImageMemory2KHR. You also set the device indices which I assume is the same as the VisibleNodeMask except instead of a mask it is an array of indices. Till now it's fine.
      Let's look at a typical SFR scenario:  Render left eye using GPU0 and right eye using GPU1
      You have two textures. pTextureLeft is exclusive to GPU0 and pTextureRight is created on GPU1 but is visible to GPU0 so it can be sampled from GPU0 when we want to draw it to the swapchain. This is in the D3D12 world. How do I map this in Vulkan? Do I just set the device indices for pTextureRight as { 0, 1 }
      Now comes the command buffer submission part that is even more confusing.
      There is the struct VkDeviceGroupCommandBufferBeginInfoKHR. It accepts a device mask which I understand is similar to creating a command list with a certain NodeMask in D3D12.
      So for GPU1 -> Since I am only rendering to the pTextureRight, I need to set the device mask as 2? (00000010)
      For GPU0 -> Since I only render to pTextureLeft and finally sample pTextureLeft and pTextureRight to render to the swap chain, I need to set the device mask as 1? (00000001)
      The same applies to VkDeviceGroupSubmitInfoKHR?
      Now the fun part is it does not work  . Both command buffers render to the textures correctly. I verified this by reading back the textures and storing as png. The left texture is sampled correctly in the final composite pass. But I get a black in the area where the right texture should appear. Is there something that I am missing in this? Here is a code snippet too
      void Init() { RenderTargetInfo info = {}; info.pDeviceIndices = { 0, 0 }; CreateRenderTarget(&info, &pTextureLeft); // Need to share this on both GPUs info.pDeviceIndices = { 0, 1 }; CreateRenderTarget(&info, &pTextureRight); } void DrawEye(CommandBuffer* pCmd, uint32_t eye) { // Do the draw // Begin with device mask depending on eye pCmd->Open((1 << eye)); // If eye is 0, we need to do some extra work to composite pTextureRight and pTextureLeft if (eye == 0) { DrawTexture(0, 0, width * 0.5, height, pTextureLeft); DrawTexture(width * 0.5, 0, width * 0.5, height, pTextureRight); } // Submit to the correct GPU pQueue->Submit(pCmd, (1 << eye)); } void Draw() { DrawEye(pRightCmd, 1); DrawEye(pLeftCmd, 0); }  
    • By turanszkij
      Hi,
      I finally managed to get the DX11 emulating Vulkan device working but everything is flipped vertically now because Vulkan has a different clipping space. What are the best practices out there to keep these implementation consistent? I tried using a vertically flipped viewport, and while it works on Nvidia 1050, the Vulkan debug layer is throwing error messages that this is not supported in the spec so it might not work on others. There is also the possibility to flip the clip scpace position Y coordinate before writing out with vertex shader, but that requires changing and recompiling every shader. I could also bake it into the camera projection matrices, though I want to avoid that because then I need to track down for the whole engine where I upload matrices... Any chance of an easy extension or something? If not, I will probably go with changing the vertex shaders.
    • By Alexa Savchenko
      I publishing for manufacturing our ray tracing engines and products on graphics API (C++, Vulkan API, GLSL460, SPIR-V): https://github.com/world8th/satellite-oem
      For end users I have no more products or test products. Also, have one simple gltf viewer example (only source code).
      In 2016 year had idea for replacement of screen space reflections, but in 2018 we resolved to finally re-profile project as "basis of render engine". In Q3 of 2017 year finally merged to Vulkan API. 

• By tanzanite7
      vkQueuePresentKHR is busy waiting - ie. wasting all the CPU cycles while waiting for vsync. Expected, sane, behavior would of course be akin to Sleep(0) till it can finish.
      Windows 7, GeForce GTX 660.
      Is this a common problem? Is there anything i can do to make it behave properly?
    • By mark_braga
      I am working on reusing as many command buffers as I can by pre-recording them at load time. This gives a significant boost on CPU although now I cannot get the GPU timestamps since there is no way to read back. I Map the readback buffer before and Unmap it after reading is done. Does this mean I need a persistently mapped readback buffer?
      void Init() { beginCmd(cmd); cmdBeginQuery(cmd); // Do a bunch of stuff cmdEndQuery(cmd); endCmd(cmd); } void Draw() { CommandBuffer* cmd = commands[frameIdx]; submit(cmd); } The begin and end query do exactly what the names say.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Vulkan What are your opinions on DX12/Vulkan/Mantle?

This topic is 1047 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Many years ago, I briefly worked at NVIDIA on the DirectX driver team (internship). This is Vista era, when a lot of people were busy with the DX10 transition, the hardware transition, and the OS/driver model transition. My job was to get games that were broken on Vista, dismantle them from the driver level, and figure out why they were broken.

That was very interesting, thanks for that!

A descriptor is a texture-view, buffer-view, sampler, or a pointer
A descriptor set is an array/table/struct of descriptors.
A descriptor pool is basically a large block of memory that acts as a memory allocator for descriptor sets.

So yes, it's very much like bindless handles, but instead of them being handles, they're the actual guts of a texture-view, or an actual sampler structure, etc...

Say you've got a HLSL shader with:

Also very informative, I'm starting to understand how to think in the "new way".

I'm looking forward to the new APIs (specifically Vulkan). Not only will we get better game performance, but it seems like it will be less of a headache given what Promit said. Less black box under-the-hood state management, the easier it will be to write and debug.

Advertisement

I feel like I need to defend myself a little bit, I am a professional graphics programmer and I've written renderers on Xbox 360 and Wii-U, along with my own side project that can render in DirectX9/11/OpenGL 3.x. I've written a multi-threaded renderer before and already have an idea on how I plan to tackle the new APIs. My initial worry was that in order to get a minimally viable renderer may be extremely painful since my multi-threaded renderer will need to be restructured to create it's own threads. Luckily it already does something along the lines of PSOs since the game logic is sending it's own render commands, I should be able to encapsulate them well enough.

Big concerns for me, (and these are initial thoughts from a GDC presentation on DX12) are:

- Memory residency management. The presenters were talking along the lines of the developers being responsible for loading/unloading graphics resources from VRAM to System Memory whenever the loads are getting too high. This should be an edge case but it's still an entirely new engine feature.

- Secondary threads for resource loading/shader compilation. This is actually a really good thing that I'm excited for, but it does mean I need to change my render thread to start issuing new jobs and maintaining. It's necessary, and for the better good, but another task nonetheless.

- Root Signatures/Shader Constant management

Again really exciting stuff, but seems like a huge potential for issues, not to mention the engine now has to be acutely aware of how frequently the constants are changed and then map them appropriately.

@Promit: Thanks for the insight, that makes me feel better about the potential gains to be made and helps to assuage my fears that adding my own abstractions between the game thread and the render thread won't defeat the purpose of the API.

@Hodgman: I'm actually writing a new engine for the express purpose of supporting the new APIs, and my previous engine also had stateless rendering. (Kinda, the game thread would just append unique commands for whatever states it wanted and those commands would be filtered by a cache before being dispatched to the rendering thread, with the new threading changes I'll likely abandon this approach so that I can add rendering commands from any thread.) I do like your idea of having specific render passes, that would allow me to reuse render commands for shadowing vs shading passes and I'll be able to better generate my command lists/bundles.

I'll also be adding in architecture for Compute Shaders for the first time, so I'm worried that I might be biting off too much at once.

Many years ago, I briefly worked at NVIDIA on the DirectX driver team ...

Congrats for ending up on John Carmack's twitter feed!

On the flip side, I am a bit concerned about sync issues. Sync between CPU and GPU (or even the GPU with itself) can lead to some really awful, hard-to-track down bugs. It's bad because you might think that you're doing it right, but then you make a small tweak to a shader and suddenly you have artifacts. It's hard enough dealing with that for one hardware configuration, so it's a little scary to imagine what could happen for PC games that have to run on everything. Hopefully there will be some good debugging/validation functionality available for tracking this down, otherwise we will probably end up with drivers automatically inserting sync points to prevent corruption (and/or removing unnecessary syncs for better performance). Either way, beginners are probably in for a rough time. 

Don't worry, a variety of shipping professional games will somehow make a complete mess of it in final build too rolleyes.gif

Edited by Promit

On the flip side, I am a bit concerned about sync issues. Sync between CPU and GPU (or even the GPU with itself) can lead to some really awful, hard-to-track down bugs. It's bad because you might think that you're doing it right, but then you make a small tweak to a shader and suddenly you have artifacts. It's hard enough dealing with that for one hardware configuration, so it's a little scary to imagine what could happen for PC games that have to run on everything. Hopefully there will be some good debugging/validation functionality available for tracking this down, otherwise we will probably end up with drivers automatically inserting sync points to prevent corruption (and/or removing unnecessary syncs for better performance). Either way, beginners are probably in for a rough time. sad.png

New debugging tools are coming: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GDC/GDC-2015/Solve-the-Tough-Graphics-Problems-with-your-Game-Using-DirectX-Tools

Slightly off-topic, but I'm starting a new engine before Vulkan or D3D12 are released. Any pointers on how I can prepare my rendering pipeline architecture so that when they are released, I can use them efficiently? I'm planning to start with D3D11 and OpenGL 4.5.

If you sign-up in the DX12 EAP you can access toe source code of the UE4 DX12 implementation.

It isn't 'signing up'. It's applying. You have to be approved (I've yet to be approved, sadly).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement