• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Seabolt

Vulkan What are your opinions on DX12/Vulkan/Mantle?

This topic is 1228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You should already be doing that on modern D3D11/GL.

That's true, and I am ashamed to say I stuck too closely to the DX9 port of my engine where I didn't have nearly as much register space and needed to swap things around on a per-draw basis at times.

Scrapping all of that now though and moving forward with DX11 and OGL 4.x and porting in DX12 and Vulkan when they are more public. 

You guys have assuaged most of my fears about the ports though :)

Advertisement

...snip...

What is an "IHV"?
Independent hardware vendors - Intel, AMD, nVidia, Qualcomm, PowerVR, etc

- Root Signatures/Shader Constant management
Again really exciting stuff, but seems like a huge potential for issues, not to mention the engine now has to be acutely aware of how frequently the constants are changed and then map them appropriately.

You should already be doing that on modern D3D11/GL.
In Ogre 2.1 we use 4 buffer slots:

1. One for per-pass data
  2. One to store all materials (up to 273 materials per buffer due to the 64kb per const buffer restriction)
  3. One to store per-draw data
  4. One tbuffer to store per-draw data (similar to 3. but it's a tbuffer which stores more data where not having the 64kb restriction is handy)

Of all those slots, we don't really change them. Even the per-draw parameters.

The only time we need rebind buffers are when:

1. We've exceeded one of the per-draw buffers size (so we bind a new empty buffer)
  2. We are in a different pass (we need another per-pass buffer)
  3. We have more than 273 materials overall and previous draw referenced material #0 and the current one is referencing material #280 (so we need the switch the material buffer)
  4. We change to a shader that doesn't use these bindings (very rare).

Point 2 happens very infrequently. Point 3 & 4 can be minimized by sorting by state in a RenderQueue. Point 1 happens very infrequently too, and if you're on GCN the 64kb limit gets upgraded to 2GB limit, which means you wouldn't need to switch at all (and also solves point #3 entirely).

The entire bindings don't really change often and this property can already be exploited using DX11 and GL4. DX12/Vulkan just makes the interface thiner; that's all.

How are you implementing your constant buffers? From what you've written as your #3b, it sounds like you're packing multiple materials'/objects' constants into a single large constant buffer, and perhaps indexing out of it in your draws? IIRC, that's supported only in D3D11.1+, as there is no *SSetConstantBuffer function that takes offsets until then.

Otherwise, if you aren't using constant buffers with offsets, how are you avoiding having to set things like object transforms and the like? If you are, how are you handling targets below D3D11.1?

Edited by Ameise

use baseInstance parameter from glDraw*BaseInstanceBaseVertex. gl_InstanceID will still be zero based, but you can use an instanced vertex element to overcome this problem (or use an extension that exposes an extra glsl variable with the value of baseInstance)

And what if you're drawing two different meshes? ie, not instancing a single mesh.

How are you implementing your constant buffers? From what you've written as your #3b, it sounds like you're packing multiple materials'/objects' constants into a single large constant buffer, and perhaps indexing out of it in your draws? IIRC, that's supported only in D3D11.1+, as there is no *SSetConstantBuffer function that takes offsets until then.

I have no idea about D3D11, but prolly isn't even necessary. Just update the entire buffer in one call. Buffer is defined as an array of structs, index into that to fetch the one that corresponds to the current thing being drawn.

Edited by TheChubu

And what if you're drawing two different meshes? ie, not instancing a single mesh.

1 is a valid value for the instance count.

1 is a valid value for the instance count.
Of course but the idea is to batch up data inside the constant/uniform buffers and use the instance ID for indexing. No sense doing it if you can only index one thing (ie, you end up what I am doing, one glDraw and glUniform1i call per mesh drawn).

Of course but the idea is to batch up data inside the constant/uniform buffers and use the instance ID for indexing. No sense doing it if you can only index one thing (ie, you end up what I am doing, one glDraw and glUniform1i call per mesh drawn).

Id comes from Instance data if I understand correctly and not gl_InstanceID. Id is different for two different instance, and a different mesh is a different instance.

Think of this as 2 buffers, one is instance buffer which contains only ID, the other is vertex buffer.

A first draw call would use 10 instance from the instance buffer, starting from BaseInstance 0.
A second draw call would use 1 instance from the instance buffer, starting from BaseInstance 10.

So if in your instance buffer you put Id in ascending order for instance, all the ID will be different.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!