GUI Challenge

Started by
11 comments, last by frob 9 years, 1 month ago

If you have some free time and feel like doing something, I challenge you to code a GUI without ever debugging or running the project. The only time you may run the project is once you believe it is done, but once it is run you may not go back and edit the code anymore. Also you can't use any extra libraries or tools to create the GUI other than what is included in Java. Once you are done feel free to post a screenshot to show everyone what it looks like.

- Good Luck to those brave enough to give it a go ;)

Advertisement

Why did people down vote this...

To hard for them

Stupid challenges are a waste of time, especially if they blatantly ignore established good practice and provide no incentive.

The only time you may run the project is once you believe it is done

This reveals you are not a developer, because a developer knows no program or asset is ever really truly done. If you're not a developer, you're from sales so you're gonna get downvoted to oblivion.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

It doesn't make any sense. What's a GUI supposed to even do all by itself? I was thinking about posting a screenshot of an app that was just an exit button, but even that is too much work just to prove a point. Admittedly, I don't even do code challenges that have a point. I have enough to do at work and with my own stuff.

Stupid challenges are a waste of time, especially if they blatantly ignore established good practice and provide no incentive.

Because a "challenge" should be easy ok... I don't think it is good practice to shoot a basketball with your eyes closed, but it would be a fun competition among friends to see who could make the most while doing it. And sorry that "for fun" isn't incentive enough for you. If you don't want to do than challenge than don't, but there is not reason to hate on it, otherwise your just as ignorant as you believe I am.

The only time you may run the project is once you believe it is done

This reveals you are not a developer, because a developer knows no program or asset is ever really truly done. If you're not a developer, you're from sales so you're gonna get downvoted to oblivion.

The only time you may run the project is when you believe you will be satisfied with the results.* Sorry forgot I was addressing literal minded people.

So, your saying this:

public class GUI extends JFrame {
public GUI() {

super("theGUI");

}

}

there is your GUI. Now what do I win?

So, your saying this:

public class GUI extends JFrame {
public GUI() {

super("theGUI");

}

}

there is your GUI. Now what do I win?

Are you guys really that slow? If so I do feel bad for you. If that is the "best" GUI you can make without running the project than I guess your right. What do you win? Nothing, it was for fun... You just did that FOR FUN. People act like when they are coding a GUI they don't constantly keep checking to see if the positioning is correct for the text, buttons, sprites etc. The whole point it to create a "Good" looking GUI without debugging your code than simply post a picture. I don't know why that is so hard for you ignorant people to understand. Someone please just delete this thread, nothing but complete idiots on here.

I challenge you to code a GUI without ever debugging or running the project. The only time you may run the project is once you believe it is done, but once it is run you may not go back and edit the code anymore. Also you can't use any extra libraries or tools to create the GUI other than what is included in Java. Once you are done feel free to post a screenshot to show everyone what it looks like.

Okay.

1. Build a javafx 2 application that hot-reloads the layout whenever it detects a change from an outside program.
2. Run the application without ever needing to go back to the applicaiton code.
3. Modify the layout file with javafx scene builder.
4. Iterate until satisfied.
5. ???
6. Profit.

People act like when they are coding a GUI they don't constantly keep checking to see if the positioning is correct for the text, buttons, sprites etc. The whole point it to create a "Good" looking GUI without debugging your code than simply post a picture

I don't know why that is so hard for you ignorant people to understand. Someone please just delete this thread, nothing but complete idiots on here.

Haha, you're funny. smile.png

This is because GUIs and other resources have moved from being hard coded to script code -- making for faster testing and faster iteration.
There's no need to build the entire project because you want to move a stupid pane three pixels to the right.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement