• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GammaLazer

Unity Help me choose a C++ SDK for Android.

This topic is 1233 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi first of all I am extremely sorry if I hurt the feelings of anyone by asking the question which might have been asked a much more times than required.

So I am a C++ programmer from last 3 years or so. I have not made any big projects but yeah build some small ones. Now I want to get into game development and as Android and IOS being the most used platforms I would like to target them.

For that I need an SDK or Toolkit.

So here are my requirements:

1) C++ language only please.

2) Free

3) I want to start with 2D ( But if it has 3D which I later plan to move on, then it would be great).

4) Cross Platform (atleast Android, IOS and Windows)

5) Windows testing available  (optional).

6) Visual Studio Support (I really want it, its the best IDE)

7) Good Community support and tutorials.

Thanks in advance guys.

Advertisement

There is Marmalade, which has great Windows Emulation Testing, but even its samples are crashing on Android for me right now.

Marmalade has both high & low-level interfaces, including in app purchaes, etc.

For android, I am using the free nvidia tegra development kit, which has native visual studio debugging on android devices!  This is only low-level graphics and input.
I have also used libcinder on windows, which is low-level also.

I made my engine so I can just write three files, System.cpp and Render.cpp for each platform, and then a main.cpp to drive the update,input and rendering.

Cocos2d-x is what you need: C++, Mobile/Desktop support, using VS.

Download the lastest version (3.4)

Run the cpp-app-test, from solution.

Be amazed with cocos2d-x. Lots of nice features. Can easily convince youbiggrin.png

Drawbacks: Getting update regurlarly, documentation is not so good, but:

Start from here for basic overview of Cocos2d-x (More chapters will be added later):

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/programmersguide/

From cpp-ap-test, there are many situations, covering a lot of things you will need.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!