• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity 5 or Unreal engine 4

This topic is 931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am a indie game developer and i am thinking to move to a new game engine but i am totally confused between unity5 and unreal engine 4(4.7),

can you guys please suggest me one, here the specifications-:

-i want to make 3d(not only fps) as well as 2d games

-i like more platforms(last gen too)

-As now both are free i don't care about the cost

-Ease of use

-graphics also matter a bit

-more learning resources

-i am a team of one

-programming language doesn't matter much(i like the bluprint system too)

i know that when i started to learn one of them i would be hard for me to change so it should help me in a long run too...

thanks,

--Gamedeveloper0--

Advertisement
Thanks orangeatang for the reply, today I installed both unty 5 and unreal engine 4 unity was about 1.2 gb to download and unreal engine was about 4 gb to download thats a big difference I will try a simple fps game by importing some of my models and will see which does it better. Both of the engines have demos of that inbuilt but I will see which is easier to myself and my only doubt us that unreal may do better in fps games and unity in 2d

I think that in the platforming case unity is ahead of unreal as unity supports last gen consoles too, and if you see the cost factor epic games (those who made unreal engine) take 5% royalty if you make over 3000$ whereas unity takes 1500$(price of unity pro) if you make 100000$ ao unity is better here, still I will look which engine ia better to use, btw which engines are you guys using?

I am a noob, so my opinion might not matter much. I have only spent a week on trying out UE4 / Unity.

I have been wondering the same question the past week since both became more accessible and both free versions offer so much. I am making mobile game, so I spent some time getting something simplistic working, like custom camera that I would need. My basis of choosing unity was because it seemed to be more mobile friendly, and worked faster on my mobile phone. Until yesterday when I decided to let my friend test out something simple I made, the speed the game ran on my friends phone was quite unexpected compared to my nexus 5. The performance was just terribad, and I have been trying to revalue of things.

I personally have liked more Unreal Engines "openness". The debugging tools just feel phenomenal, not saying that unitys profiler is bad either, it is really good, but I like the fact that i can run console commands on mobile phone. Out of a box I feel like unreal offers a bit more than unity does, and the fact that you can actually export your assets out of unreal makes me feel more safe about it. Like if I made stuff with unity, there is no way to just possibly pull my project out of unity if I suddenly for example felt like source 2 would be the thing I really want to develop on. I have a strong feeling that in Source2 you can use C++. The truth is though, that I know that both of the engines are massive over kill for my small 3d game.

I like watching youtube videos for learning things, and unity has so much material in the internet. The bad thing about it is though, that most of it is out dated, although a lot of stuff has remained over the time, but a lot has changed as well.

Where I feel that unity works like charm is for importing stuff from blender to unity. With UE4 it seems bit more complicated to get working armatures from blender, but I am quite confident it will improve over time.

In my personal opinion somehow I feel to be more in control on UE4 than Unity. Also my gut feeling is that team collaboration works better in UE4 than Unity, but that probably doesn't matter to solo developers like us.

In the end it comes down to personal liking, for me my liking has started to lean more towards UE4 for some unexplained reason, although they both seem very capable for pretty much everything. Maybe my reason for going UE4 road is just having weird feeling of being a bit more safe with UE4, like the whole Free vs Pro with Unity has some possibility of being problematic for in the future, if I end up having a bigger team than going solo. I cannot really describe this fully with words.

With UE4 it seems bit more complicated to get working armatures from blender,

Definitely, Unreal seems to be designed with Maya in mind; there are a host of really useful Maya scripts that come with Unreal - to help with character rigging.

There's a bit of messing around you have to do to get FBXs exported from Blender in to Unreal - but the process is definitely improving and there have been a lot of improvements in the latest version of Blender (2.73a).

If you're having any trouble, there was a twitch stream from Unreal dedicated to this topic in mid January :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayp1lof0RJU

i think that i am going to stick with unreal engine 4 as it turns out to be a much better than unity but most of all matters is the content not the game engine.

thanks guys for the help, my experience with the forum was very good.....

--Gamedeveloper0--

Edited by gamedeveloper0

btw which engines are you guys using?

Unity.

I'm more of a code sort of guy, and Unity's editor gets in the way a lot less than Unreal's does. Plus, the engine is less FPS-oriented out of the box, and C# is a very nice language to work with.

btw which engines are you guys using

Unreal.

I like that you can generate Visual Studio based Unreal projects, so you can do any/all of your game logic in C++.

The visual scripting (Blueprint) is really well implemented, with very useful debug features. It's also simple to communicate data from the C++ side of things through to Blueprint.

It's a very flexible engine.

Edited by Orangeatang

... btw which engines are you guys using?

I'm using Panda3D, myself: while it lacks the visual tools and out-of-the-box shaders of Unity and Unreal (and likely the documentation--I haven't looked at what Unity and Unreal provide in this), I'm familiar with it, I like Python (which it uses as its scripting language), and as far as I'm aware it's completely free, regardless of income, etc. The only caveat that I'm aware of with regards to fees is that the FMod sound system incurs a licencing fee to the owners of FMod--but OpenAL is available as an alternative.

I'm using Panda3D, myself: while it lacks the visual tools and out-of-the-box shaders of Unity and Unreal (and likely the documentation 

The documentation is pretty thorough though, and it has C++ bindings.

Edited by Code_Grammer

I'm using Panda3D, myself: while it lacks the visual tools and out-of-the-box shaders of Unity and Unreal (and likely the documentation 

The documentation is pretty thorough though, and it has C++ bindings.

I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying here: are you saying that one or both of Unity or Unreal have thorough documentation, or that Panda does? If the latter, then, well, in some places, but I do seem to recall that there are places in both the manual and the API documentation that are a little sparse.

btw which engines are you guys using?

Unity.

I'm more of a code sort of guy, and Unity's editor gets in the way a lot less than Unreal's does. Plus, the engine is less FPS-oriented out of the box, and C# is a very nice language to work with.

I agree with you here, I'm just beginning to learn to code and Unity has taken me much further with the C# language than C++ and Unreal did. That's kind of where I would say that Unity might be better for a solo developer unless you are really good with C++ since that is a much less forgiving language in the long run. Also publishing between different platforms is a breeze which is nice.

But then again I am an Environment artist and much prefer importing my assets into Unreal and working with them in there using the blueprints rather than writing and applying C# scripts so ...

Anyway that's just my two cents on this topic.

Edited by WildPants

Unreal 4.7(the one you can download now) is suffering from a weird bug called UE-11368 ---- https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?62143-texture-problem

so its becoming harder to decide but i think unity 3d will let me show more of my creativity, its confusing now...... in usage both of them feel the same  because i am new to both of them.

Any ides?

I haven't noticed any problems with 4.6 (I'm still using this version, and will be until Audiokinetic releases an update to the Wwise integration), so you could roll back to that version until the issue is fixed; using an older version probably won't make much difference for you while you're learning how to use the engine. If it really bugs you, then just use Unity.

You'll be able to show your creativity in either engine smile.png

Edited by Orangeatang

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement