Unity 5 or Unreal engine 4

Started by
33 comments, last by Anton Qvarfordt 8 years, 9 months ago

With UE4 it seems bit more complicated to get working armatures from blender,

Definitely, Unreal seems to be designed with Maya in mind; there are a host of really useful Maya scripts that come with Unreal - to help with character rigging.

There's a bit of messing around you have to do to get FBXs exported from Blender in to Unreal - but the process is definitely improving and there have been a lot of improvements in the latest version of Blender (2.73a).

If you're having any trouble, there was a twitch stream from Unreal dedicated to this topic in mid January :

Advertisement

btw which engines are you guys using?

I'm not, have never used either. I keep my games simple enough to implement in simple frameworks like xna or directly in DirectX.

i think that i am going to stick with unreal engine 4 as it turns out to be a much better than unity but most of all matters is the content not the game engine.

thanks guys for the help, my experience with the forum was very good.....

--Gamedeveloper0--

Sherry Saini

Biker? Artist? Gamer,?Fitness Freak? living in the moment.⌛ Before i bojack things up. ? 28 June ?Twitter - www.twitter.com/IAmSherrySaini www.SherryGames.com

btw which engines are you guys using?

Unity.

I'm more of a code sort of guy, and Unity's editor gets in the way a lot less than Unreal's does. Plus, the engine is less FPS-oriented out of the box, and C# is a very nice language to work with.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

btw which engines are you guys using

Unreal.

I like that you can generate Visual Studio based Unreal projects, so you can do any/all of your game logic in C++.

The visual scripting (Blueprint) is really well implemented, with very useful debug features. It's also simple to communicate data from the C++ side of things through to Blueprint.

It's a very flexible engine.

... btw which engines are you guys using?

I'm using Panda3D, myself: while it lacks the visual tools and out-of-the-box shaders of Unity and Unreal (and likely the documentation--I haven't looked at what Unity and Unreal provide in this), I'm familiar with it, I like Python (which it uses as its scripting language), and as far as I'm aware it's completely free, regardless of income, etc. The only caveat that I'm aware of with regards to fees is that the FMod sound system incurs a licencing fee to the owners of FMod--but OpenAL is available as an alternative.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

They're both free, why not try both and see which you like?

I'm using Panda3D, myself: while it lacks the visual tools and out-of-the-box shaders of Unity and Unreal (and likely the documentation

The documentation is pretty thorough though, and it has C++ bindings.

I Will take a look at panda 3d an I was using 3d rad it is also a very good engine.
Sherry Saini

Biker? Artist? Gamer,?Fitness Freak? living in the moment.⌛ Before i bojack things up. ? 28 June ?Twitter - www.twitter.com/IAmSherrySaini www.SherryGames.com

I'm using Panda3D, myself: while it lacks the visual tools and out-of-the-box shaders of Unity and Unreal (and likely the documentation

The documentation is pretty thorough though, and it has C++ bindings.

I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying here: are you saying that one or both of Unity or Unreal have thorough documentation, or that Panda does? If the latter, then, well, in some places, but I do seem to recall that there are places in both the manual and the API documentation that are a little sparse.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement