• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Elicius

Deleted Thread

This topic is 1319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

It looks like there might also be some geometry issues, though it's hard to tell without lights. Can you save the file as .obj or .fbx? Or export it from Blender, if it looks fine in Blender?

Can you use Unity 5? The default scene there comes with a decent lighting setup. Otherwise you'll just have to set up some lights yourself. It's not hard, but there is an art to it.

It's hard to tell from just the screenshots, but there are a number of obvious issues with your Unity setup:

• You don't appear to have a directional light in your scene.
  • Possibly as a result of no lights, or maybe due to other configuration issues, you don't have any shadows.
  • Anti-aliasing is not enabled.

Thanks :) It's the first time I'm working with this software and I'm still a noob. I'll try what you suggested today.

It looks like there might also be some geometry issues, though it's hard to tell without lights. Can you save the file as .obj or .fbx? Or export it from Blender, if it looks fine in Blender?

Can you use Unity 5? The default scene there comes with a decent lighting setup. Otherwise you'll just have to set up some lights yourself. It's not hard, but there is an art to it.

I'm using Unity 4.6, but I'll definitely try out version 5 if the lightning setup is better. Thanks for the feedback :)

Where did you get the model?  It doesn’t have a consistent culling direction (all faces must be either clock-wise or counter-clockwise) so you have to disable culling.

This will be a performance hit on your game, so it is best to have whomever made the model(s) fix the culling issues.

If you got them online, a better source would be:

http://www.ldraw.org/

It comes with a database of text-based LEGO® model files which are easy to convert to .OBJ (it takes less than a day to write a custom tool) and then you get somewhere around 95% of all LEGO® pieces ever made, all to scale, and with all the culling issues fixed.

L. Spiro

I got them from ldraw.org already! I will consider this, thank you for the feedback :)

From the look of your screenshots:

1) You are missing shadows. From Unity you need to add a Directional Light (but you probably already have it in your scene) and then enable shadows on it from the  inspector (select the light in your scene hierarchy and look at the panel on the right for that setting). In Unity 5 new scenes starts with a Directional Light with shadows enabled.

2) The shader looks different. It seems you are missing specular highlights (but I'm not sure about this). Investigate "materials" in Unity manual.

3) Some parts of your geometry are messed up. As already mentioned in other posts it appears to be a culling issue. I think 3d modelling tools can fix this automatically but I'm not very experienced in 3d authoring.

Generally speaking I strongly recommend you use Unity 5 (if you aren't already doing that) since it unlocked ALL graphics engine features for free.

Good luck with your project!

- ung

EDIT

If you are willing to share your model I may take a look at it.

Edited by Ungunbu

@ikarth, I am Eliciurs partner on this.

We did export from blender to .fbx but the result is the same no matter we use the .3ds directly from the Leocad software (lDraw for mac) or the .fbx from Blender.

Yes, the render quality in Blender is really good.

Thanks!

From the look of your screenshots:

1) You are missing shadows. From Unity you need to add a Directional Light (but you probably already have it in your scene) and then enable shadows on it from the  inspector (select the light in your scene hierarchy and look at the panel on the right for that setting). In Unity 5 new scenes starts with a Directional Light with shadows enabled.

2) The shader looks different. It seems you are missing specular highlights (but I'm not sure about this). Investigate "materials" in Unity manual.

3) Some parts of your geometry are messed up. As already mentioned in other posts it appears to be a culling issue. I think 3d modelling tools can fix this automatically but I'm not very experienced in 3d authoring.

Generally speaking I strongly recommend you use Unity 5 (if you aren't already doing that) since it unlocked ALL graphics engine features for free.

Good luck with your project!

- ung

EDIT

If you are willing to share your model I may take a look at it.

Thanks @Ungunbu,

here is the model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7KJPW84c6c_cjFoRWlfOEZSTlE/view?usp=sharing

it was initially an ldraw file and we exported to 3ds using LeoCAD

PS: I am also working on this project wink.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!