• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
qiray

Rescue ASCII

This topic is 1228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings everyone!

I am glad to say that a new browser tower defense game is now ready. It is called "Rescue ASCII"

t6zfrc.jpg

Features:

- ASCII graphics;
- 4 tower types;
- 3 towers levels;
- 30 enemy types;
- 4 difficulty levels;
- more than 10 maps;
- achievements and upgrades;
- cookie and text based save/load;
- a lot of fun!

To play it you just need a modern browser with javascript and canvas (HTML 5) support.
The game version is beta so if you find any bugs or have any suggestions and questions please contact me here or via my e-mail: zotovyaa@mail.ru

Thanks and have a lot of fun!

Edited by qiray

Advertisement

This was a lot of fun!

The game is pretty neat. The graphics are unique, also. If I were you I'd colorize the characters and utilize different background colors to make distinguishing objects easier.

Wonderful job biggrin.png

Nice, any chance of a telnet/ansi version?

Seems so much overkill to have to use a browser to play this, when a browser has so many layers of abstractions between the raw ascii and the player :)

This was a lot of fun!

The game is pretty neat. The graphics are unique, also. If I were you I'd colorize the characters and utilize different background colors to make distinguishing objects easier.

Wonderful job biggrin.png

Thank you. smile.png

It sounds good, multicolored graphics can be much better.

Nice, any chance of a telnet/ansi version?

Seems so much overkill to have to use a browser to play this, when a browser has so many layers of abstractions between the raw ascii and the player smile.png

It's an interesting idea but maybe later.

Browsers have good tools for easy displaying nice things like popup windows and others. Of course, sometimes their speed and memory consumption are not ideal. smile.png

Browsers have good tools for easy displaying nice things like popup windows and others.
The do a good job of emulating (n)curses in that respect. 

Browsers have good tools for easy displaying nice things like popup windows and others.

Yes, but it's more convenient to draw cirles and to use different line/font size in browser.

Yes, but it's more convenient to draw cirles and to use different line/font size in browser.

Yes, it's easier to do non-ASCII in the browser. But then, it's not ASCII any more.

Yes, it's easier to do non-ASCII in the browser. But then, it's not ASCII any more.

Unfortunately my game contains not only ASCII graphics but also circles to display towers' attack range and some tricks with font and line sizes. So it cannot be called a pure ASCII game. sad.png

UPD.

Some updates:

- added labels for start and finish;

- added tooltips for towers;

- added another cursor style for building areas and towers;

- and the main thing: the game and it's source code now can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/asciidefence/

Thank you for your attention. I'm still waiting for your comments and suggestions. :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!