2D Tiled Based Game - Charactors used 3D or 2D?

Started by
1 comment, last by Chen Hoi 22 years, 5 months ago
hi, I am a student in hong kong, working on a game project. My project is a 2D Tiled Based game, which is more or less having the style of Diablo, originally I was thinking to use 2D for all the graphics, including background and sprites, however, i found some new tile-based games started using 3D for their characters with 2D background, the usage of this is the game lets the players to have full on-screen variation of the characters, like the clothes color of the characters. And I wonder if it will affect the game perfermance, because of the interchange of 2D and 3D? Many thanks if anyone can give some ideas about the above mentioned.
Advertisement
Well actually many 2d to 3d tile based games use 3d for tiles too so there is no performance loss of using 2d with 3d.

Look at Gamedevs articles for 2d tile based games using 3d. That should give you an idea...

Pekka Heikurapekka.heikura@mbnet.fi
Hi I would use a 3D modelling program to render the characters then export the frames to bitmaps or any other image.By doing that you can keep the high quality in the 3D artwork without having to pay for it performance wise by having to have a 3d engine.Many computer rpgs use this technique especially if it has an online mode.The great thing about this is you can use most any 3D modelling software even trial versions to do this. Well good luck on your project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement