Fastest compiler? Best IDE?

Started by
24 comments, last by KingPin 22 years, 5 months ago
this post made me rethink supporting MSVC. I''ve been using MSVC 6.0 Intro for some time now (got if from TOTWGPG book) and just got used to the IDE. Is there a better IDE than MSVC''s? And which compiler produces the fastest C++ code? MSVC Pro, Intel C++ Pro???? Thanx in advance. "1-2GB of virtual memory, that''s way more than i''ll ever need!" - Bill Gates "The Arcade: Quite possibly the game of the century!" - The Gaming Community may or may not represent anybody in paticular
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers." - Bernhard HaischReactOS
Advertisement
I think the compiler that generates the fastest code is the Intel C++ compiler or VectorC. AFAIK, it works like a plugin for MSVC.

As for the IDE, it really is up to you. Personally, I like the MSVC IDE. I like it even more when I''ve got VisualAssist installed.

If you''re not on a budget, get the Pro version of MSVC. Otherwise, the Standard version will do fine.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
I tried VectorC''s demo, I like how it works under MSVC''s IDE, but it doesn''t compile C++ code
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers." - Bernhard HaischReactOS
Mmm.... CodeWarrior. Highly customizable in terms of generated machine code. I think it''s nice. But only if you get the professional edition. Otherwise you get a limited version of the compiler that is not nearly as efficient.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
CodeWarrior''s optimizer puts MSVC''s to shame . GCC is also way better than MSVC in a lot of cases (it is better than CodeWarrior sometimes, worse othertimes, it really depends). Intel''s compiler is pretty good, but as you would guess, you get the most out of it for Intel processors (it is still good for other company''s though). I haven''t tried VectorC though.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
If you want the fastest compiler then you have to ditch C and C++. Go for Delphi. Well before a C++ compiler even gets to the linking stage, a Delphi application is compiled, linked and running.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
quote:Original post by Sly
If you want the fastest compiler then you have to ditch C and C++. Go for Delphi. Well before a C++ compiler even gets to the linking stage, a Delphi application is compiled, linked and running.

That''s not what he''s talking about, he''s talking about the fastest executable produced. Delphi is still lacking a lot of the features in a fully compliant C++ compiler, so comparing their compilation speeds is somewhat inadequite.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Yeah, I''m pretty sure he was talking about executable speed, not compile time, in that case, most (if not all) C++ compilers will out perform Delphi.
I personally like Blitz Basic the best. It uses Basic syntax, and it''s made for games, but it'' very fast. I''m not sure if it''s the code or Blitz itself, but it uses a lot of assembly language, as well as C++ in other parts.

Are you sure you can''t optimize your code any better? That''s usually the best cure for slow run-time programs.
Control ... the storm...Danny (Array Master)
quote:Original post by Sly

Borland c++ has a compiler about as fast as Delphi. I sincerely hope that compilation speed was not your only reason for using Delphi, but if it is, why aren''t you using pure assembly code?

When I''m testing my code to see how well it works, I use borland c++. I use gcc/mingw32 for my final compile, which is a lot more optimising.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement