• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alundra

PhysX Active Transform is a bad practice ?

This topic is 1254 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I use active transform array of PhysX :

SceneDesc.flags |= physx::PxSceneFlag::eENABLE_ACTIVETRANSFORMS;

in the update each frame I get what moved using :

physx::PxU32 ActiveTransformCount;
const physx::PxActiveTransform* ActiveTransformArray = m_Scene->getActiveTransforms( ActiveTransformCount );
But I read on the doc :
There may be a performance penalty for enabling the Active Transform Notification, hence this flag should only be enabled if the application intends to use the feature.

Is it a bad practice and better to update manually each actor using getGlobalPose ?

Edited by Alundra

Advertisement

I wouldnt go as far as saying its a bad practice, after all this is what its for, all they are saying is there may be a performance penalty for enabling it, although I use it myself and have never seen any problem with it.

I suppose you could use getGlobalPose, but active transform returns only those that moved, with getGlobalPose how would you know which objects didnt move? You might be doing more work updating objects that didnt move at all.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!