Audience Mechanic (2)

Started by
0 comments, last by Leziath 9 years, 1 month ago

It was discussed a while ago http://www.gamedev.net/topic/643221-audience-mechanic/ so I have sorted out my thoughts and specified the requirements, so we can start again :)

I'm making a 4X space empire game, and one of the mechanics will be audience you, as the emperor, grant. The important thing is that's just part of the game, not the core, it needs to fit 4X mechanics (so not like Long Live the Queen). I also don't want (most likely but not 100% against) advisors like in SimCity 2000 (where chief of police always bug you for more funds for police :D). Also, I prefer (strongly) if it was at least partially replayable. Also I don't really like it being about "reporting" things, like your fleet arrived or someone attacked you is just a regular report you get each turn, not an audience.

What I have invented so far (just an example):

Frequency:

Audience would pop up like once per 5-8 turns (the player can adjust it a bit upon game start, also there would be one scenario "Imperial Court" where audience is every turn). Generally the point is it's not every turn (since the core of the game is moving ships to conquer planets and the like :))

The EndTurn button is blocked until you ressolve the audience.

Types of audiences (need more!):

- event (something random happend/storyline)

- choose one from 2-3 choices (bonuses or penalties), some rare options would not be in the interface but on audiences (like: "should we focus our education on astronavigation or science" (bonus to exploration for next 10 turns or bonus to science))

- periodic budget, once every 2-3 audiences (so like 15-35 turns) the minster of finances will approach you with a BIG spreadsheet and you need to tick what you want ot get funded (it will be in effect until next budget audience and it would grant various bonuses/penalties during that period; so if you plan war you might want to wait for next budget audience and increase the funding for military)

- spend resources on something to get something (yes/no)
- diplomatic action, can regulate AIs threat/agression, etc

- visitation, it's kind of like "emperor's schedule"; for example the emperor can visit planet X (if the governor requested it) and that planet would get loyalty & happiness boost, the trick is you can choose only 3 visitations per audience (and will always have more requests than 3 :))

Visuals:

Dunno, probaly some sort of "heads" that pop up in the throne room and you click and read what they want.

Looking for alternative ideas, fixes of my idea, expansion of the idea, feedback, comments and anything related :) As usual :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

My immediate thoughts on how I would implement this:

1. In addition to your current ideas, I would have disputes to resolve, like a couple of farmers arguing over land, with several options to choose from.

2. Your choices would add up to influence how you are viewed, and positively or negatively affect morale. Constantly siding with the landlord against the tenant, for example, would have a different long term effect than constantly siding with the tenant, which would probably negatively affect your economy but positively affect citizen morale.

3. Have between 1 and, say, 4 audiences per audience event (randomly determined). For example, 1 diplomatic action and 2 disputes to resolve.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement