When to release?

Started by
7 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years ago

Hey all,

So for the last few years, I have been developing my own 3D engine. I've had it open source for quite a while, but never released builds, and I never publicized it outside of my own website. It is lacking a few features (mostly graphics related things), but is functionally usable. Heck, I've been making games on it for months now. My question is, when should I begin to publicize it? When I feel it's entirely "complete" or when it's functionally complete. I want to get some public feedback on it, but I don't want to release it too early and get a mess of "It's soo unfinished."

I just don't know when to call it done, I guess. Advice?

I develop to expand the universe. "Live long and code strong!" - Delta_Echo (dream.in.code)
Advertisement

You have a good understanding of how your engine works, because you built it.

But is it organized in a way where other people will be able to understand it?

You should have good documentation and a starter tutorial or two.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

What exactly is your goal here? What do you hope to gain from releasing it?

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

What exactly is your goal here? What do you hope to gain from releasing it?

My hope is that I can get some constructive feedback of what's lacking (I may use alot of features, but I don't use ALL of the needed features by far...) and what is only half-baked. Like minibutmany said, I made it, so I know it. I'm not sure how others that DIDN'T make it will like it.

I develop to expand the universe. "Live long and code strong!" - Delta_Echo (dream.in.code)

My hope is that I can get some constructive feedback of what's lacking (I may use alot of features, but I don't use ALL of the needed features by far...) and what is only half-baked. Like minibutmany said, I made it, so I know it. I'm not sure how others that DIDN'T make it will like it.

Well.. engine development is really tough nowadays with all these professional engines around. mellow.png

The most important and difficult feature of a game engine is a convincing reference game (besides good tool support and documentation). I, as developer, must invest a considerable amount of time to try out an engine, an engine which should guarantee me a time saving. Therefor, if your engine does not convince me, that it provides a time saving and that I will not ditch it after a period of time, then I would not touch it at all.

get a mess of "It's soo unfinished."

Try to get a working core engine first, get it documented, some useful tools and a working reference game. Think about your most unique feature, even if it is open source, what makes your engine so special compared to the rest of the engines ? Why should a developer use it ? Pick this point and polish it. Once you get some interest, release all the other untested features step by step to avoid this unfinished-mess-dilemma.

You need to find the mindblowing unique feature. It must not be ground breaking, but it must be unique. Why does many people prefer unity ? Because of its wide range of supported platforms. Why do people prefer UE4 ? Because of its mindblow range of released games. Why do people prefer CE ? Because of its mindblowing visuals.

Why do many people use game maker ? Because it is accessible.

Good luck smile.png

HAS NOBODY CHECKED THE SEXTETS IN THIS TOPIC ID?

since this isn't 4chan, sorry for being off-topic.

HAS NOBODY CHECKED THE SEXTETS IN THIS TOPIC ID?
since this isn't 4chan, sorry for being off-topic.

Mr. Baboon, what are sextets, what are you saying, and why are you shouting?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think he's referring to the topic URL: gamedev.net/topic/666666-when-to-release/
OIC. "ID" didn't suggest "URL," so I didn't look high enough. Still don't see a need for shouting... wacko.png

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement