I was working sometime ago on a game using the following:

Visual C++ 2008 Express

DDRAW.LIB|H

DSOUND.LIB|H

DINPUT.LIB|H

DINPUT8.LIB

WINMM.LIB

DXGUID.LIB

Will the game still work on all the newer operating systems?

Thank you,

Josheir

Advertisement

It should work just fine, But I have had to enable compatabality mode from time to time.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Will the game still work on all the newer operating systems?

Of course. Microsoft maintains backwards compatibility for binaries pretty well. Actually compiling/building may be a different case, though, and you might have to rejuvenate your code a bit to get the latest version of Visual Studio and the Microsoft SDKs to be happy.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Thanks you two! I guess what your saying, Sean, is that newer operating systems might need there software built using a more current visual studio and if they do than these SDK libs I mentioned should be replaced with newer libs?

Thank you,

Josheir

I just don't get it! Why would I be using a different visual studio? Could someone please respond to these two posts? It's really important to me!

Thank you,

Josheir

Thanks you two! I guess what your saying, Sean, is that newer operating systems might need there software built using a more current visual studio and if they do than these SDK libs I mentioned should be replaced with newer libs?

Thank you,

Josheir

No. He's saying that if you're using a newer version of Visual Studio you might have to change a few things or manually install certain libraries.

In my opinion, if you're planning to build upon this old code you have, I'd say that you should just bite the bullet and port it over to modern libraries. If you just want to build the code once for nostalgic purposes however, I'd just download the older libraries and build the project from there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement