Under what class / category is a Golem?

Started by
12 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 9 years, 1 month ago
Are golems in the warrior class or a monster class?
To be specific I am talking about golems that are semi-intelligent and use weapons that are molded onto their arms (where their hands would be).
EDIT:
I am not trying to re-define what golems are nor am I trying to expand what they could be.
I am trying to get a consensus for what other people see them as, now
I am asking about which class they belong in based on their behaviors and attacks and not so much as how they are made or who made them.
As far as classes go....
Right now, I have knight, warrior, monster, cursed, undead, demon, furry, and monster girls.

Of course more could be added

The golems will have simple yet powerful attacks.

The golems will use swords, maces, and axes that are molded to their arms.

Advertisement
I would place golems into the same class as spirits. It is a spirit summoned into an element for use as a weapon, it's unconstrained form being a jinn or a genie or a demon.

That's my opinion.

I would place golems into the same class as spirits. It is a spirit summoned into an element for use as a weapon, it's unconstrained form being a jinn or a genie or a demon.

That's my opinion.

Thanks.

At least someone responded.

What? I don't really understand the question. If you're the writer, golems can be whatever class you want, even their own.

You've provided close to zero context for this question, sorry. If you explain your situation clearly (and in detail), we'll be better able to help you.

What? I don't really understand the question. If you're the writer, golems can be whatever class you want, even their own.

You've provided close to zero context for this question, sorry. If you explain your situation clearly (and in detail), we'll be better able to help you.

I am not trying to refine what golems are nor am I trying to expand what they could be.

I am trying to get a consensus for what other people see them as, now

I would consider golems to basically the same as robots or animated suits of armor. They are artifacts, in the sense of a magical object crafted by a mage; not a naturally-occurring being, not having a soul, not truly alive. But it depends on your worldbuilding where you are getting the "life force" from and how intelligent it is. As braindigitalis says, a demon or naturally-occurring spiritual being (such as a ghost) could be used as the animating force of a golem. Or on the other hand, if magic itself is intelligent in your setting, simply putting enough magic into anything would "bring it to life" in a limited way. Another possibility is if the creator creates an impression of their own mind, a copy which is like the magical equivalent of AI, and uses that to run the golem. Or the golems themselves might not be intelligent, but instead several golems could be controlled like puppets by a living golem-master or a magical computer.

If you're talking about combat classes, golems seem like they would be tanks, with high defense and low speed. Probably weak to water if there's an elemental magic system. Unless they are made out of something other than rock - ice golems for example would be weak to fire.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I would consider golems to basically the same as robots or animated suits of armor. They are artifacts, in the sense of a magical object crafted by a mage; not a naturally-occurring being, not having a soul, not truly alive. But it depends on your worldbuilding where you are getting the "life force" from and how intelligent it is. As braindigitalis says, a demon or naturally-occurring spiritual being (such as a ghost) could be used as the animating force of a golem. Or on the other hand, if magic itself is intelligent in your setting, simply putting enough magic into anything would "bring it to life" in a limited way. Another possibility is if the creator creates an impression of their own mind, a copy which is like the magical equivalent of AI, and uses that to run the golem. Or the golems themselves might not be intelligent, but instead several golems could be controlled like puppets by a living golem-master or a magical computer.

If you're talking about combat classes, golems seem like they would be tanks, with high defense and low speed. Probably weak to water if there's an elemental magic system. Unless they are made out of something other than rock - ice golems for example would be weak to fire.

thank you.

That was very insightful and well thoughtout.

ddd

I am asking about which class they belong in based on their behaviors and attacks and not so much as how they are made or who made them.

Well, what classes does your game have, how do your golems behave, and what attacks do they have? Those, I think, will to some extent define where they are placed, and are specific to your game.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Well, what classes does your game have, how do your golems behave, and what attacks do they have? Those, I think, will to some extent define where they are placed, and are specific to your game.

that is an intelligent question.

okay.

Right now, I have knight, warrior, monster, cursed, undead, demon, furry, and monster girls.

Of course more could be added

They will have simple yet powerful attacks.

they will use swords, maces, and axes that are molded to their arms.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement