Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michelle

Z-axis

Sorry but I cant solve this probably very easy and lame question but... I tried to use http://www.codeguru.com/opengl/MG-opengl.zip But when I move my object on the z-axis nothing happens, until they disappear... Can someone please tell me why? And how to solve it... The init of the opengl part of the program is like this: int MySetPixelFormat(HDC hdc) { PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd = { sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR), // size of this 1, // version number PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW | // support window PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL | // support OpenGL PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER, // double buffered PFD_TYPE_RGBA, // RGBA type 24, // 24-bit color 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, // color bits 0, // no alpha buffer 0, // shift bit 0, // no accumulation 0, 0, 0, 0, // accum bits 32, // 32-bit z- 0, // no stencil 0, // no auxiliary PFD_MAIN_PLANE, // main layer 0, // reserved 0, 0, 0 // layer masks }; int iPixelFormat; // get the device context''s best, available pixel format match if((iPixelFormat = ChoosePixelFormat(hdc, &pfd)) == 0) { MessageBox(NULL, "ChoosePixelFormat Failed", NULL, MB_OK); return 0; } // make that match the device context''s current pixel format if(SetPixelFormat(hdc, iPixelFormat, &pfd) == FALSE) { MessageBox(NULL, "SetPixelFormat Failed", NULL, MB_OK); return 0; } return 1; } int COpenGL::OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpCreateStruct) { if (CWnd::OnCreate(lpCreateStruct) == -1) return -1; // TODO: Add your specialized creation code here MySetPixelFormat(::GetDC(m_hWnd)); return 0; } And then the rendering: void COpenGL::OnPaint() { CPaintDC dc(this); // device context for painting // TODO: Add your message handler code here HDC hdc = ::GetDC(m_hWnd); HGLRC hglrc; // TODO: Add your message handler code here glClearColor(0,0,0,0); glColor3f(1, 1, 1); if (hglrc = wglCreateContext(hdc)) { // try to make it the thread''s current rendering context if(wglMakeCurrent(hdc, hglrc)) { //render here glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glLoadIdentity(); glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES); glColor3f(1, 0, 0); glVertex3f(.5, 0, 0); glColor3f(0, 1, 0); glVertex3f(0, .5, 0); glColor3f(0, 0, 1); glVertex3f(-.5, 0, 0); glEnd(); SwapBuffers(hdc); } } wglMakeCurrent(NULL, NULL) ; ::ReleaseDC (m_hWnd, hdc) ; wglDeleteContext(hglrc); // Do not call CWnd::OnPaint() for painting messages } PLease please please please please help me!!!!

I''m not sure what the problem is since I can''t quite follow the code (too tired), but you might try the NeHe site for some ideas. I used their tutorial to learn OpenGL, and moving in the z plane worked fine. It''s probably that you aren''t setting perspective projection.

The NeHe site is at http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Here''s what you should try in your initialization code:
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluPerspective(45.0f,(float)(4/3),0.1f,100.0f);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

as well as

glClearDepth(1.0f);
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);

for an explanation of this code, go to NeHe, they''ve got some great OGL tutorials.

And I have coded some win32 opengl stuff, like those tutorials on nehe, but nehe doesnt init their apps like I do now with:

wglCreateContext();
wglMakeCurrent()

You may wonder why I use these functions if they doesnt work as I want, but it´s the only good solution I have found on combining mfc and the appwizard with opengl ... :/

Uhm well this code looks a bit strange... You should repaint (or maybe rerender ) your scene each time after calling such functions as glEnable, glTranslatef, glRotatef and so on. So glBegin/glEnd sequence must be called multiple times, not once. And you really shouldn''t recreate rendering context each time before rendering since you don''t destroy it after

Winter:Well of course I do that ...

Can someone please take a look at my code and tell me what''s wrong.. You can find the workspace on:
ftp://gamedev:gamedev@mreklund.no-ip.com:500

If you press down the Z radio button, and drag the x slider you´ll see what''s the problem... When you drag that slider you change the z position for the triangle, nothing happens until the triangle disappears...

A account on my ftp if someone solves my problem =)