Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JSCFaith

Game Test

JSCFaith    122
Ok, well my game is basically complete. I have to try to find any problems so I would appreciate it if you could test the game and tell me some information: OS RAM Video Card including Memory CPU Speed FPS - you get in the game Any Problems you had Any suggestions to make the game better. Well if you could help me out I would appreciate it, thanks. Here is the link to get the game. http://www.gamedev.net/community/gds/projects/default.asp?projectID=352 BTW, its an asteroids clone. Well thanks for you time. Later and enjoy.

conundrum07    122
I tried your program and it didnt run on my system. The screen went black for a moment and it generated the "output" file. Nothing else. Running win 98se with 384mb ram, 32mb vram, 667 P3.

JSCFaith    122
Ok, so now I am pretty certain it only works on win2000 and XP. I have a 98 machine but its really old, so it won''t run the game anyway.

Thanks. I will try to find out whats wrong.

EAX    136
RAM: 440 MB
Video Card: GeForce 2 32MB
CPU: AMD K6 500 MHz

FPS: 70 - 75
It ran good.

EAX

Edited by - EAX on November 11, 2001 4:18:59 AM

David_Kay    122
WinXP Pro
Pen3 650mhz 133mhz FSB
256mb DDR
GeForce2 MX400 64MB DDR ram

FPS: 65~

Error: Drawing Object failed (DDERR_INVALIDRECT)

Suggestion: Allow the ship to move when starting a new level. (Maybe not shoot yet?) Was in the path of an Asteroid - blew me up right after my ship stopped blinking ...

Edited by - David_Kay on November 11, 2001 4:28:55 AM

Gladiator    127
Didn''t run... just switched resolutions, black screen, then back to windows...

RAM: 128MB
Video Card: GeForce2 MX 64MB
CPU: P3 500MHz

The output file says "Ends"

JSCFaith    122
In response to David_Kay. You should be able to move when the ship is blinking. That is weird. On my comp you can. Damn, I have a lot of compatiblity errors with this game. BTW, I think I am getting pretty close to the Win98 problem. So I will get back to you when I think if have it fixed.

Thanks for your help so far.

Castaway    122
Windows XP Pro
768 MB SDRAM
GeForce2 MX 32MB SDRAM
TB 1.4GHz
75 FPS

Works perfectly, the log contains no errors whatsoever. Btw, that ship reminds me of good old 1942

JSCFaith    122
Ok, everyone just about 2 seconds ago at 10:45 Arizona time, which at this time of the year I think is Pacific. I uploaded a new version of my game. Now if this game didn't run for you before, it should run. Keyword, "should." If you could test it out I would greatly appreciate it. Btw hpox, I uploaded right after you downloaded it, so try it again. Well thanks for you time...

Thanks. Any more suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Later...

Edited by - JSCFaith on November 11, 2001 12:53:32 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
The game seemed to work fine...the debug log kept on saying Drawing Object failed (DDERR_INVALIDRECT)
other than that everything worked.

System Specs:
Windows ME
AMD Athlon 750MHz
320Mg RAM
ATI Radeon 32Mg DDR
Directx 8.0 (developer)

GuyJohnston    122

Loved your game !!

Nice graphics, ran just fine.
Did''nt check debug log though.

Windows 98
512 Meg SDRAM
Integrated 4 Meg Video
500 MHz
9 fps ( A little slow ? )

The first time I tried to play the game, the ship
didn''t appear. On the second try, everything went
just fine.

Nice work !

Guy

JSCFaith    122
Ok, good to hear. I runs on 9x machines now. Ok, now I just need to located that DDERR_INVADLID RECT thing.

Thanks for your help. BTW, what did you think of the Game play?

JSCFaith    122
Hmm, you were getting 9fps? I just tried to see if it would run on my 233 with 32mb or RAM and an integrated 4mb video card, and it did. It was getting 32 fps, and it would drop to about 25fps every once and a while. Weird

Edited by - JSCFaith on November 11, 2001 1:18:57 PM

JSCFaith    122
Glad you liked it. Are you sure it was running at 9fps, I just locked it at that and it is un playable. Oh well, thanks again. BTW, I am still tracking down that Error that keeps poping up in the log.

GuyJohnston    122

I thought game play was very good. Though I have not played enough games to give a proper opinion on that.

About frames per second, it was fluctuating between
9 fps and 10 fps. But mostly it was stuck at 9 fps.

It''s a little rough at that fps, but is quite playable.

Guy

Authustian    125
Win98
256meg
gForce2 32meg
PIII 700
70-75
It doesn't like to be alt tabed

It looked realy dim on my comp, but then again my monitor is going, so i guess thats more my problem than yours

all in all i'd say good job,

-------------------------------------------------
Don't take life too seriously, you''ll never get out of it alive. -Bugs Bunny

edit: i'm silly

Edited by - Authustian on November 11, 2001 2:18:09 PM

Bezzant    122
RAM: 256MB
Video Card: GeForce2 64MB
CPU Speed: 1.4GHz
FPS :locked on 86

only problem i saw was that when them little rocks (after you blow up an asteroid) hits the ship then the ship starts exploding (when its like just on fire) after a while the shop disappeared but the fire animation was still there and it was flying around, had to exit the game and reload it.

other than that, its damn good. thats a really good game you made there...

dont suppose you want to let me know how you did the animation of the asteriods?

JSCFaith    122
Well, I uploaded an updated version. It should fix the invisble ship thing and it fixes some other little bugs. Bezzant, do you want to know how I made the animations or how I do it in code?

Any more comments/suggestions/complaints would be appreciated it.

Later.

Edited by - JSCFaith on November 11, 2001 3:57:33 PM

Bezzant    122
quote:
Original post by JSCFaith
Well, I uploaded an updated version. It should fix the invisble ship thing and it fixes some other little bugs. Bezzant, do you want to know how I made the animations or how I do it in code?

Any more comments/suggestions/complaints would be appreciated it.

Later.

Edited by - JSCFaith on November 11, 2001 3:57:33 PM

it was just how you create the animation (code wise) and now you mention it, how do you actually create the bitmaps with the asteriod in different positions?

im thinking for the animation (code) that i could just create a loop that loops through the different textures for the animation and applys one texture, then the next etc... then goes back to the start.....

if you could just explain the idea behind it, thanks

and for the actual bitmaps, i havent got a clue.... what is it? a 3d model and you rotated it, took a screenshot, rotated a bit more etc...

many thanks

alan

also, in the game: when you fire a rocket/missile it hits the asteroid then continues to go, is it supposed to carry on, or is it supposed to be destroyed on impact? (thats referring to the earlier version)

JSCFaith    122
Well, first off, the missile is supposed to continue.

Second, the way I do animations is simple. First off, you create an animation like so:

int Animation1[10] = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10};
int Animation2[10] = {1,5,6,7,4,3,2,1,3,10};

Basically, both those hold the order in which you run the frames. So the first one just goes in numerical order, while the second jumps around. Now, you need a function to create the information that tells where each frame is located on the bitmap.

#define MAX_FRAMES 20

RECT m_FrameRect[MAX_FRAMES];

All that m_FrameRect is going to hold is the RECT for each frame on the bitmap, so bascially you just fill that at the beginning of the program.

Now, all you do is go through the animation until you get to the end and then you just start over.

Well, that is basically how you do, I don''t know if that makes much sense.

If you want to see some code, I will show you what I have, it is pretty short, like 4 functions total.

Well, later..

David_Kay    122
Re-downloaded your new version and now everything works fine. No clue why it wouldn''t let me move last time but I can now (after I die or start a new level).

Nice game. Congratulations.