Downvoting kills my motivation

Started by
48 comments, last by jbadams 9 years ago

I agree that it would be nice to be required to write a reason for down-voting.

<edit>

That is actually the issue for me, to be honest. Mystery down-votes. I don't mind "justified" votes down; I don't like them, but there's a chance to learn from mistakes.

</edit>

And, yes: StackOverflow is tiring with all those topics being closed for being 'not constructive', 'off-topic', 'attracting low quality answers', etc.

I have a reputation of 1 on SO, and really can't be bothered to up it. smile.png

Still, I can't deny that I still find StackOverflow immensely useful. It's just not my cup of tea as a community.

This is a good discussion. I do not regret kicking the topic off.

Too many projects; too much time

Advertisement

the problem with stackoverflow isnt the voting sys, its the point sys. the nazis there are desperate to do anything that will give points, like closing threads or mark as ambiguous or any shit, bringing the ridiculous situation of closed topics being high voted etc.

It's a different mindset and purpose. I dislike Stack Overflow as a community, but find it's googleability for quick answers to be top-notch.

The goal of StackOverflow is to provide "The One True Answer" for any given question. The "user" is not the people asking, or the people answering, but the people coming in from Google.

The goal of GameDev.net is to provide discussions. The "user" is the people reading the thread, and asking questions and debating answers, not the person starting the thread. The community "owns" the thread, not the original poster. This is why, for example, GameDev doesn't let users delete threads, or mark threads as "solved". 'Solved' according to whom? All that means is the person who started the topic thinks it might've fixed his problem (but maybe just covered up or hid his problem). But discussions continue longer, with more value, even beyond satisfying the original poster's immediate problem.

While I've benefited greatly from asking questions and getting answers, GameDev.net provides far more value to me by letting me be a fly on the wall on experts' discussions of complex topics, and by letting me elbow my way into threads that I didn't start and ask questions or debate answers (but always in a friendly way).

Some offtopicness is permitted; but if it looks like things would stray too far offtopic, it's suggested that you start a new thread and link back to the original.

IMO, you shouldnt care about the votes or points, whats the reason you replying to a thread? show off? or trying to share/gain some knowledge?

Procrastinating. tongue.png

You shouldn't care about your overall score, but you should care when you get downvoted by more than one person on a single post. This implies something about the post was wrong - either technically (and hopefully someone responded explaining what was wrong), or behaviorally (and hopefully someone PM's or replies, explaining what the bad behavior was).

Also note that usually the people doing the replying aren't the people who downvoted. This can be confusing, as some users immediately get offended ("Why'd you downvote me?!") and downvotes in retaliation the person replying to them, not realizing that that person had nothing to do with the downvote. This happens frequently.

Some people participate by downvoting/upvoting without actually posting at all in a topic. And that's fine too. Posting is better, but sometimes everything that needs to be said has already been said, and sometimes someone is in a hurry and can't give a reply, but can still express approval or disapproval through a vote.

[Edit:] As an example, I upvoted you without realizing* it was you (I usually read the content of a post before seeing who wrote it) on this post. It was a "I'm showing the OP I also agree with this answer, so he should give it more weight because more people agree with it, but I'm too lazy to post atm, and am in a hurry, and this poster has already posted what I was going to say anyway.". The upvote in this situation was an "I agree" upvote, rather than a "This user is correct in a technical sense" or a "This user is friendly and helpful".

*I would've still upvoted even if I had realized it was you. What I mean is, I wasn't upvoting you just to prove a point or to serve as an example.

I dont answer to gamedev much cause theres an army of ppl way more present here that knows way more than me,

Doesn't matter how present someone is, participate when you are able to.

And it doesn't matter how many people have more knowledge in some areas than you, participate in the areas you think you have knowledge in. And if you say something that is factually incorrect or arguably off, the ensuing discussion benefits everyone.

when I feel I can add something I just do it without giving the slightest shit.

Good. If you can add value (either by asking, answering, or discussing), do so!

The only care you should consider is, how am I behaving, in terms of social interaction?
And you don't really have to sugarcoat everything either. Alot of people here are fairly blunt (usually because they are in a hurry), but provide technical details. As long as they aren't outride rude or insulting, most bluntness is tolerated.

If I get downvoted, I want to know why, which means I will learn something that Im doing wrong.

Absolutely. But people downvote for different reasons. Mostly it's behavioral. Sometimes it's to mark a technically incorrect answer that other people have already replied. Sometimes it's just an "I disagree with this statement". Rarely it's vengeful or spiteful downvoting, and those situations are rapidly balanced out by users like myself upvoting to counter-balance it, which just results in the downvoter wasting his own points without purpose. Sometimes they are also bulk-downvoting, which gets reported and the moderators roll those back.

GameDev.net tries to encourage downvoting mostly for bad behavior.

I strongly disagree with down-voting for technically incorrect answers.

Instead, it would be prudent if people would take the time to discuss why they think that the answer is incorrect, and maybe be proven right or even wrong.

Let's all keep in mind that not everyone is native English writers. I am not. And even English writers can forget to make implicit meanings explicit.

And drive-by down-voting in general is just low life cowardice. In my opinion.

Like in real life, "I love you" does not need a reason, but "I hate you" really does need to have a justification. Unless you are hellbent on hurting people.

The way it seems to work on StackOverflow is just too abstract/mechanical/inhuman/detached in my opinion.

Personally, I am always not bothered to engage in a question on there. Because, as a person, I am engaged in what I do, not disengaged or detached.

It works for a lot people, though. ;)

I strongly disagree with down-voting for technically incorrect answers.
Instead, it would be prudent if people would take the time to discuss why they think that the answer is incorrect, and maybe be proven right or even wrong.
Let's all keep in mind that not everyone is native English writers. I am not. And even English writers can forget to make implicit meanings explicit.

And drive-by down-voting in general is just low life cowardice. In my opinion.

I generally do not down-vote technically incorrect answers unless they are intentionally advocating something that should never, ever be done. I won't down-vote mistakes or typos.

Sometimes, though, I run across posts that are essentially Crimes Against Programming. Something so incredibly wrong that if left alone, will ruin something, somewhere - and I cannot tolerate that. The poster is so unintelligible that talking to them will do nothing. I drive-by these types of posts. It's not cowardice; it's accepting the reality that some people just cannot be helped.

Voting ? What voting ?

Heh, Unbird. I might apply that custom style to my browser - good idea; problem gone :)

Interested ? Here it is:

div.votecard{visibility: hidden;}
span[data-tooltip="Reputation Points"]{visibility: hidden;}
span[data-tooltip=3D"Reputation Points"]{visibility: hidden;}
span[data-tooltip="Your reputation"]{visibility: hidden;}
span[data-tooltip=3D"Your reputation"]{visibility: hidden;}
span.number{visibility: hidden;}
div."reputation positive"{visibility: hidden;}

Add the following lines for even more fun. It's called "guess the member":

div."desc lighter blend_links'"{visibility: hidden;}
span."author vcard"{visibility: hidden;}
p.edit{visibility: hidden;}
a[hovercard-ref="member"]{visibility: hidden;}
img."ipsUserPhoto ipsUserPhoto_mini"{visibility: hidden;}
img."ipsUserPhoto ipsUserPhoto_medium left"{visibility: hidden;}
a.ipsUserPhotoLink{visibility: hidden;}
div.signature{visibility: hidden;}
laugh.png

Awesome! laugh.png

I have been called passive-aggressive too here, haha. Really it's just passion. Been down voted several times without any clear understanding as to why. Also, I have accidentally down-voted someone when trying to up-vote them. Of course, I apologized in a PM. I do wish you could reverse a vote.

One thing this voting system did for me was help me not to post in topics above my ability. So I only help where I can actually help to the degree that is needed for the post. That means I have to actually read the post, and try to understand the question.

The system is okay. Three up-votes make up for one down-vote.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement