Game Concept Feedback

Started by
6 comments, last by Kk1496 9 years ago
I've been wanting to see if I have what it takes to be an indie game developer and work from home. So, I thought that making a small casual game would be a good start. So, to get started, I wrote a concept document to start organizing my ideas. However, something doesn't feel right. Something might be missing. Here's what I've got so far.

Introduction: Color My Palate, a new third person strategy game for PC/Mac/Linux, you are a curious and hungry young paintbrush in an art studio who is looking for a variety of new paint to eat.

Description:
The game begins with a quick sweep of the entire level. You see a few drops of paint hiding in the home of a family of crayons. Also, a few more are hiding in a an eraser's toolbox. However, hiding behind a mechanical pencil's home you see the mother load! As you get a feel for what's in store, you begin to form a plan.

The clock starts and you race to gather the paint in your own home to get you started. The its of ti the crayon box to see what they might have. As you approach the box, the first few crayons roll out. After eating a few drops of yellow paint, you jump over them one by one and quickly retrieve the paint in their home before they return.

Next, you enter the toolbox. An eraser comes sliding out of his compartment. Quickly, you race out out of his way by eating some red paint that you've collected. . He quickly returns and you push his compartment shut, trapping him inside, just long enough to explore the rest of his home and take anything that you might find interesting.

Finally p, you look to the giant pencil case. As you approaches, the mechanical pencils begin to fire at you. You begin to fire back, but you are beginning to run out of ammunition. So, you choose a more subtle approach and consume the remaining paint in your inventory. This shrinks you just enough to pass under their lone of fire and enter the pencil case. You've hit the jackpot!

Key features:
Fast Paced Gameplay: collect paint to satisfy your hunger before it all runs out!
Clever Enemies: your fellow neighbors also have clever abilities. Use your own to beat them at their own game and loot their houses.
Intriguing Environments: Color My Palate features intriguing levels that allow you to use your special abi,ities to look for even more paint.
Interesting special abilities: satisfy your curiosity by eating different colors paints that will give you special abilities to jump, sprint, shrink, and shoot paintballs.
Exciting Achievements: color My Palate uses the same three star achievement system that made Angry Birds, Cut the Rioe and many others so exciting.

Final thoughts. I'm aware that the domain Color My Palate is already taken and I'll change this later (suggestions). Also, I case it wasn't made clear because my creative writing stinks, I'm going for more of a mischievous quality for the main character and not malicious.

Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated :)
Advertisement

I couldn't catch the whole idea of the mechanics and the game itself. I feel your's is more like a story description than a Game Concept one. I could see your idea as runner, platformer, beat em up, etc.

Could you elaborate on the mechanics that your game would be using? A genre which it can relate to, the controls and some games that could be similar to what you are looking for would be some useful information too.

This is a game concept, not a beginner programming question, so I'm moving this to Game Design, where it properly belongs. Maybe the reason it wasn't getting replies is that it was in the For Beginners forum?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think you should write a Game Definition Document now that you've written some conceptual stuff down. Your post reads as a sort of romanticised game experience, but to figure out if you can build this (or more importantly if you want to build it), you need to lay it all out to understand all the things that are required to execute it.

People take different approaches to GDDs, but I like to think of it as something I could give another person and have that person build that vision in a way that's fairly close to what I have in mind. If that sounds like a trivial task, it isn't. It's a surprisingly difficult task and requires a kind of painstakingly disciplined thinking to recognise and eliminate any assumptions between the lines.

Even if you intend to build this yourself, it's a really helpful exercise in understanding your own game. In your post you're describing quite a lot of art and several unique behavioural entities, with huge leeway for interpretation on scope and style of experience. It could be executed minimally in 2D, or it could be 3D (I read it as 3D), it could employ a degree of imagination on the player's part, or it could be a very literal and vibrant space modelled in high detail.

If you want any really specific feedback or thoughts on aspects of the game, you'll need to have some way of presenting a non-abstract breakdown of exactly how it runs. If you don't feel comfortable sharing that level of detail, again I highly recommend you write it all down anyway even if just for personal use. You'll be surprised how many details didn't come to mind while imagining the core concept.

Game Definition Document

A what?

I think GDD stands for Game Design Document FYI.

But badpotion is essentially right, your above post is not a GDD as it does not describe the gameplay mechanics.

Game Definition Document

A what?

I think GDD stands for Game Design Document FYI.

But badpotion is essentially right, your above post is not a GDD as it does not describe the gameplay mechanics.

Indeed, my bad. for some reason I've heard "game definition document" rather than Game Design Document a bunch of times recently and I think in that moment it stuck.

What you wrote is far too vague. Please write something more concrete.

I couldn't catch the whole idea of the mechanics and the game itself. I feel your's is more like a story description than a Game Concept one. I could see your idea as runner, platformer, beat em up, etc.
Could you elaborate on the mechanics that your game would be using? A genre which it can relate to, the controls and some games that could be similar to what you are looking for would be some useful information too.

One of the games that inspired this was nucleotide. There's a developer diary about it on YouTube. I'm kinda going for the same mechanics with a different theme. I guess it's more like the enemies are forming an obstacle course that you have to go through to collect everything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement