Game Development Advice Along with Course Help

Started by
2 comments, last by AnnaMarie 9 years ago

So I'm currently New to Game Development. But wait before you give me that it a long road crap. I have been doing Python for a Bit Java Swift and a ton of others, so I know the Basics of programming.

Now I just need Help and What courses to Take that make me from Beginner to Advanced.

I want to be a 3d Artist along with a Game Programmer. (So any good courses would be great!)

Now about PC SPECS I need to Know what do I need in order to make a beefy 3d game?

Also any other advice would be great!

Advertisement

Go to For Beginners and don't look back!

None of that makes you a game developer, not even a beginner one. I second the above response.

Now I just need Help and What courses to Take that make me from Beginner to Advanced.

Unfortunately courses alone (and books for that matter) won't be a substitute for time spent applying the knowledge. Much like you can read a book on 3D modelling - reading and doing are two completely different things. Likewise you can read a book of software architecture but early on you will still have some major flaws that you can't see. Spotting bad designs can really only come with experience. This is not to say that you won't learn any cool tips or tricks from books/courses, just that without applying them (or doing the activity on a regular basis) you won't see the results you are looking for.

As far as courses go, I would say get a CS degree and maybe toss in one or two game development electives if they are offered. The CS courses, at least here, offer a much more solid foundation to build upon than the game development courses. Everything from the CS side translates directly into game development. You don't need to take a ton of courses in gamedev as I think really only one or two are needed if you're unsure about how games work. I myself took a single C#/Xna course as I was tired of Java from my intro courses and it was enough to allow me to make games since.

This site is also very useful as you have 15+ (I believe it started in 1999?) years of questions and discussions. Granted some are irrelevant now, but most still apply. Hundreds of articles with new ones added weekly, blog posts where people explain what they did, and a great helpful community all in one place. 90% of the time if you are having a problem someone else on here had the same one. I encourage you to use it as often as you can! smile.png For more information regarding these starting questions the FAQ and beginner forum has hundreds of these with advice.

Good luck smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement