Which skillset to develop once your good in C# ?

Started by
3 comments, last by WozNZ 9 years ago

I am learning C# and I don't know if I want to be a backend or frontend programmer in C# yet... which skillset I should concentrate on once I am good in C# ? Sharepoint? Database? Web stuff like Asp.net, Html5 Json etc ? like what would be a path or a roadmap for learning let's say if I want to concentrate on backend with database and sql and windows programs etcand which path I could take if I do the contrary and I want to develop web like Asp.net ?

I am asking because there is so many different things and they ask for so many in job post like : Json, Html5, Css, Sql, Sharepoint, Javascript Java etc its like they want you to know everything

thanks

Mederick

Advertisement

It all depends on where your particular passion lies. What have you been coding using C#? Do you have a Github repo?

These are things only you can decide.

From the sounds of your post, it seems like you're thinking about writing business apps (as opposed to games)?

MY $0.02 is that front end for LOB (line of business) apps is going to be web tech (HTML5, javascript, etc). I don't see C# being used much with that kind of technology at the moment, maybe if you go down the ASP.net route, but from what I've seen, most people are using various js frameworks (angular, etc).

As an example, I'm about to start a large project where the backend will be in C# (using NHIbernate to talk to SQL Server) and the front end will be a js web app talking to the server via REST.

Unless you plan to be a designer rather than a developer, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on HTML/CSS. You should certainly understand them, but you don't need to be an expert in them.

You can learn about Sharepoint if you want, but the downside of that is that you will have to use Sharepoint. :)

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Business related projects are moving towards a RESTful web app architecture. So if you want to stay with C# you should learn about the ASP.NET MVC 6 / Web API 2 stuff right now. This is related to the midddle tier and backend layer. Understanding the principles of database design won't hurt either.

As for the front end HTML5/CSS3/JS are the way to go. Especially the Javascript frameworks like Ember.js or AngularJS are really popular at the moment. Although AngularJS version 2 is currently under development which wont have compability with AngularJS version 1.

It is normal to see job ads like these. But the very core is that you have a good understanding of programming languages in general and it is good to have a sense of problem solving. It is good if you have one language where you're an expert in but it is never wrong to atleast have an intermediate level of experience in various other ones.

In the end I'd say if your more a creative head you should focus more on the front end stuff since it is more related to user friendliness and gives you the opportunity to be creative. (Atleast when the company doesn't have a standard layout or something...).

If your more into problem solving and the technical stuff you should consider going for the middle / backend related tasks.

Follow my hobby projects:

Ognarion Commander (Java/LIBGDX): https://github.com/OlafVanSchlacht/ognarion-commander

As others have said anything apart from HTML/JS and CSS on the front end is just dead or about to die. Even Microsoft have made web tech first class in development of Metro apps or whatever they are calling it today.

C# is a great language and at the business/back end shines well. If you feel you want to be involved more in the front end then JS all the way, as much as it pains me to say that, but JS has won the battle for the client and in ways is starting to move server side with tech like Node.js.

JS at its core is actually an interesting language and has an interesting take on what an object actually is but it also has a history of being misunderstood and used badly

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement