• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

working with controller and USB dial slider.

This topic is 1121 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm developing a usb device using a HID descriptor and I have a catch 22 here. I have a controller that has two shoulder pressure buttons. I need a range from 0-255 with 0 being the resting point. In the various software gaming apps when mapping buttons it listens for a movement. If the shoulder is at 0 to 128 nothing is detected but at anything > than 128 it is detected. Windows DX seems to see shoulder at reset as 255 and fully pressed as 0. So I figure well this is easy, I'll reverse the value in the device firmware val = 255-val; Doing this makes Windows DX see the shoulder at rest as 0 and fully pressed as 255. Great right? Now DX sees shoulder at 255 to 128 as nothing detected and anything < 128 as detected.

Hope that was not too confusing. So I then came up with the idea of making 128 the resting point. This passes the detection and in game the value is always 128. So that is no good.

I dont know if the problem is the usb descriptor or that most software is written poorly.

Here is my analog portion of the usb descriptor

//axis
        0x05, 0x01,                    //     USAGE_PAGE (Generic Desktop)
        0x09, 0x30,                    //     USAGE (X)
        0x09, 0x31,                    //     USAGE (Y)
        0x09, 0x32,                    //     USAGE (Z)
        0x09, 0x33,                    //     USAGE (Rx)
        0x09, 0x34,                    //     USAGE (Ry)
        0x09, 0x35,                    //     USAGE (Rz)
        0x09, 0x36,                    //     USAGE slider
        0x09, 0x37,                    //     USAGE  dial
        0x15, 0x00,                    //     LOGICAL_MINIMUM (0)
        0x26, 0xFF, 0x00,              //     LOGICAL_MAXIMUM (255)
        0x35, 0x00,                    //     Physical Minimum (0)
        0x46, 0xFF, 0x00,              //     Physical Minimum (255)
        0x75, 0x08,                    //     REPORT_SIZE (8)
        0x95, 0x08,                    //     REPORT_COUNT (8)
        0x81, 0x02,                    //     INPUT

All values are 0-255 If needed I can break the slider and dial out and give it another range but nothing seems to help any. Hiw does one handel a presure button if DX always looks for <> 128 to sense a change in movment?

Edited by ulao

Advertisement

Admittedly I have no idea about your setup, but given input values of 255 to 0, can you use in your program a value of 255 - inputValue? That is, invert the value in your program, not the device.

I.e., you say you're getting an input of 255 for rest position, and 0 for fully pressed. Then 255 - input goes from 0 at rest position, to 255 fully pressed. Is that the desired response?

Edited by Buckeye

Admittedly I have no idea about your setup, but given input values of 255 to 0, can you use in your program a value of 255 - inputValue? That is, invert the value in your program, not the device.

I.e., you say you're getting an input of 255 for rest position, and 0 for fully pressed. Then 255 - input goes from 0 at rest position, to 255 fully pressed. Is that the desired response?

But as I said "So I figure well this is easy, I'll reverse the value in the device firmware val = 255-val;" doing that astonishingly just tells DX to look at it in reverse as well. It’s like DX looks at the signal thru a window. Does not matter if the value goes 0 to 255 or 255 to 0. Just senses the change -/+ from therest point (what ever that is). Confusing, yes. I think it just comes down to coders using a bad paradigm.

Edited by ulao

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement