Sign in to follow this  
ulao

working with controller and USB dial slider.

I'm developing a usb device using a HID descriptor and I have a catch 22 here. I have a controller that has two shoulder pressure buttons. I need a range from 0-255 with 0 being the resting point. In the various software gaming apps when mapping buttons it listens for a movement. If the shoulder is at 0 to 128 nothing is detected but at anything > than 128 it is detected. Windows DX seems to see shoulder at reset as 255 and fully pressed as 0. So I figure well this is easy, I'll reverse the value in the device firmware val = 255-val; Doing this makes Windows DX see the shoulder at rest as 0 and fully pressed as 255. Great right? Now DX sees shoulder at 255 to 128 as nothing detected and anything < 128 as detected.

Hope that was not too confusing. So I then came up with the idea of making 128 the resting point. This passes the detection and in game the value is always 128. So that is no good.

I dont know if the problem is the usb descriptor or that most software is written poorly.

Here is my analog portion of the usb descriptor

//axis
        0x05, 0x01,                    //     USAGE_PAGE (Generic Desktop)
        0x09, 0x30,                    //     USAGE (X)
        0x09, 0x31,                    //     USAGE (Y)
        0x09, 0x32,                    //     USAGE (Z)
        0x09, 0x33,                    //     USAGE (Rx)
        0x09, 0x34,                    //     USAGE (Ry)
        0x09, 0x35,                    //     USAGE (Rz)
        0x09, 0x36,                    //     USAGE slider
        0x09, 0x37,                    //     USAGE  dial
        0x15, 0x00,                    //     LOGICAL_MINIMUM (0)
        0x26, 0xFF, 0x00,              //     LOGICAL_MAXIMUM (255)
        0x35, 0x00,                    //     Physical Minimum (0)
        0x46, 0xFF, 0x00,              //     Physical Minimum (255)
        0x75, 0x08,                    //     REPORT_SIZE (8)
        0x95, 0x08,                    //     REPORT_COUNT (8)
        0x81, 0x02,                    //     INPUT

All values are 0-255 If needed I can break the slider and dial out and give it another range but nothing seems to help any. Hiw does one handel a presure button if DX always looks for <> 128 to sense a change in movment?

Edited by ulao

Admittedly I have no idea about your setup, but given input values of 255 to 0, can you use in your program a value of 255 - inputValue? That is, invert the value in your program, not the device.

I.e., you say you're getting an input of 255 for rest position, and 0 for fully pressed. Then 255 - input goes from 0 at rest position, to 255 fully pressed. Is that the desired response?

Edited by Buckeye

Admittedly I have no idea about your setup, but given input values of 255 to 0, can you use in your program a value of 255 - inputValue? That is, invert the value in your program, not the device.

I.e., you say you're getting an input of 255 for rest position, and 0 for fully pressed. Then 255 - input goes from 0 at rest position, to 255 fully pressed. Is that the desired response?

But as I said "So I figure well this is easy, I'll reverse the value in the device firmware val = 255-val;" doing that astonishingly just tells DX to look at it in reverse as well. It’s like DX looks at the signal thru a window. Does not matter if the value goes 0 to 255 or 255 to 0. Just senses the change -/+ from therest point (what ever that is). Confusing, yes. I think it just comes down to coders using a bad paradigm.

Edited by ulao