Starting out in 3d

Started by
7 comments, last by jeskeca 8 years, 11 months ago

Hi. I wanna try some character modeliing using blender. One thing I notice is that most people use their 2d sketch to import on 3d software and use it as a reference. Since I consider myself as more of a programmer I still wanted to try this 3d stuff out. Im not good at sketching. Is it posible to be able to make a 3d character model without using sketch reference? and what are your tips for people like me who is starting out in the world of 3d animation? Where to get started?

ooookkkkkaaaayyy

Advertisement

It's totally doable. Though, I'd guess the modeling community is probably split on the approach. While importing a 2D image has its benefits for sure, it's not for everyone.

Personally, I take a more sculpting-type approach and create the general "shape" of the object, then fine-tune the detail from there.

I would recommend using some sort of reference though, if just google-image searching only for your personal knowledge of the object. You'd be surprised the sort of details you'd forget certain things have. I find if I don't reference something, my models look like the 3D equivalent of an 8 year old's drawing.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

I am also a beginner and I'm using this playlist to teach me how to do things.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2BA5BDF79FF50122

In chapter 2 the instructor explains about a "concept workflow' that doesn't use any reference. He then moves on to topology and explains how to use reference images in a much later chapter. The instructor claims that he does it this way because his students would tend to use the reference sketch as a crutch. So, some might call it a good thing that you'd rather not use a reference sketch.

But I also think Misantes has a good point that references are helpful even if you aren't using them to import and model on top of.

Hi. I wanna try some character modeliing using blender. One thing I notice is that most people use their 2d sketch to import on 3d software and use it as a reference. Since I consider myself as more of a programmer I still wanted to try this 3d stuff out. Im not good at sketching. Is it posible to be able to make a 3d character model without using sketch reference? and what are your tips for people like me who is starting out in the world of 3d animation? Where to get started?

It is possible but your form and your layout (unless you are lucky) will be way off. I do not normally use refrence sketches unless I am doing something that I am unfamiliar with. That said, when I have to make something that is not common knowledge, such as an alien race of some type, it would be near impossible to mitigate wasted time without using a refrence sketch. So, you can do it but you might suffer a bit for not having it. That said, you could be the type of artist who doesnt need it....

As for tips, you need to learn the basics first. So many people pick up blender and learn nothing of value. They create models using the extrude tool and jack up everything!!! (I need to pick up blender and learn it so i can show people how to stop jacking it up! lmao) Look for tutorials that teach you about shapes, and then look for tutorials that teach you how to create game assets. Once you learn how to make the models move into making a character rig. After the rig you can learn the weighting of the model, and lastly the animation of it.

Character model > Rig > Animation

You don't need to start with sketches. If you are a rookie and not studying art (they will do a more traditional,cleaner approach), you could just start to learn modelling. In 3d gamedev modelling is the most basic and mandatory skill you need to do game art (you don't need textures, no animation, no scuplting, just modelling). Modelling isn't hard, but you need to practise it nevertheless. So some basic steps you could start with (using tutorials):

1. Create a basic property like a barrel and a wooden boxes as lowpoly models.

2. Create a human head, take some reference images as background to get the silhouette right.

3. Create a human head with clean edge loops and quads.

Until you are able to do 3 you will need to practise some time. Which sounds easy at first, get messy really quickly. Some (blender) modelling tools/features you should learn about

- moving single vertices, edges and faces

- cutting new edges along surfaces

- merging vertices

- extruding faces,edges and vertices

- delete some faces and restructure the surfaces (filling in new faces)

- using the mirror modifier

Believe me, even as programmer (like me), it is possible to do decent art. But you need to be patient and practise a lot, but you will get better over time.

Lots of good models are made without any sketches. I didn't do a single sketch in over 15 years practice but modeled just few characters based on sketch, but even in that case it wasn't loaded into 3d software :)

This is a little late comment but I just want to say thanks and let everyone know that I didnt POST and RUN. :D I read all the comments here :D

ooookkkkkaaaayyy

As it was mentioned above more than once, you do not need to have a sketch. There are different ways to approach modeling a character but it is very important to at least have a reference image so you can more easily nail the anatomy of your character. I would suggest learning how to import reference images into your viewport so you can transform your shapes as needed more accurately. I am sure you can find a tutorial on how to do that. Just don't forget the rule of three, to place three edge loops around all of your characters joints and on the laugh lines on the face. Other wise when animating your character the topology will tear.
Im with Ashaman73.

Since you are "more of a programmer", start modeling simple objects like a barrel, sword, low-poly tree, or vehicle. Character modeling is very advanced.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement