Sign in to follow this  
welOhim

Is setting USB debugging as enabled a risk?

I'm not one to panic at every security risks messages, but my phone antivirus software has persistently stuck to a message:

1 Problem to resolve: USB debugging: when USB debugging is enabled intruders can access your data despite PIN protection

In other words my phone is vulnerable because i enabled USB debugging

As an app developer on android i have to constantly leave USB debugging as enabled. And so i ignored for a long while, until i started having "superuser permission has been granted"  pop-ups regularly 

So the question is:  Is the risk of enabling USB debugging real?

If it is, what options do app developers have to eliminate (or minimise) the risk, since USB debugging needs to be enabled anyway?

Is the risk of enabling USB debugging real?
Yes, if you plug your phone into untrusted computers.

There have been several programs that spread through USB, requiring a combination of the phone set for USB debugging and a Windows box with autorun turned on. 

If your phone is only used on your own computers and you take reasonable steps to avoid malware, it is likely not a problem.  

If you plug your phone into USB slots on strange devices, coffee shop computers, and school computer labs, that is a very promiscuous computing habit and you should disable USB.

Like frob say, It's risky only if you plug it in untrusted computers.

If you still doesn't wan't to deactivate USB Debugging each time you plug your phone just to charge, use a 2-pin micro-USB, there is no data pin, so, it shouldn't be a problem.