Choosing the right technologies

Started by
2 comments, last by Bokk 9 years ago

Hello,

Before starting, I'm sorry for my grammar, English isn't my native language (I'm French tongue.png)

I'm a web developer (working principaly in PHP and the framework Symfony2), but I wanted to change a little bit and started to build a game, I already have done some C / C++ and C#.

Since I was kid, game was always a motivation and a passion for my computer courses. And here I'm now.

I'm not really used to the game development and that's why I wanted some questions about the right way to start it.

What I have in mind is some kind of web browser games, more like a turn based MMO (something like Brave Frontier or Summoner Wars) but I need some few hint about what kind of technologies to use.

• The database / server ? Should I start with a MySQL or maybe a MongoDB to store the data of the players and the language for the webservices ?

• The client ? Starting with a web browser game maybe extends to mobile ? Do you have any framework recommandation ? Or should I go with HTML5 and javascript ?

What does required to build this kind of MMO ? If you have some articles or tips about the conception I would be glad to hear some !

Thanks you for reading my question. I hope my post is understable smile.png

Advertisement

Since you haven't started out at all in game development starting with an MMO is a bad idea and probably should aim a little lower to start out. But you can however check out Cocos2d-HTML5 framework since you are going the web route. If you grab Unity (Free) you can write the code in C# and the engine will handle a lot for you, plus it builds for almost all platforms and also does a web player.

Like wicked250 said, you should probably aim lower if you're not really used to game development. I looked into the games you mentioned, and I doubt you'll be able to build anything approaching that scale, just because of how big they are. Over on the game design forum, one of the rules is not to post about making a mmorg:

1. Don’t post your new game idea if it is a MMORPG, unless your idea is purely theoretical, in which case it should be made abundantly clear at the very start. The reason being unless you are a millionaire or in charge of a very large gaming company, you are NOT going to make that game without massive funding. Even if you are very passionate about your idea, no one will take you seriously until you have proof you have the hardware to make it happen. No matter how good your idea is, no-one will take you seriously, and you wont gain respect.

But if you want to get started making smaller games, the best thing to do would be to keep on going with the C languages, since you mentioned you've already done some of that.

link

Beginner. Whatever I said above could be completely wrong.

Thanks for your answers :)

Yeah I understand what you means, I think I misunderstand. I'm not targeting for a large MMO but more an online game with database problematic.

I'll start with Cocos2d-HTML5 with the client side I think that's what i'm looking for.

If you have any advice about the database or the server-side I will be glad to hear about it :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement