How to figure out if I'm on the right path

Started by
26 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 11 months ago

Lets take for example a job requirements I found which is similar to what I'm aiming for:

Your tasks:

• Work and improve existing 3D Code
  • Maintain existing Engines, Tools and other components
  • Research new Render techniques

Requirements:

• 3+ years of professional experience (at least one released title)
  • Many years of experience in programming 3D using current Rendering APIs (e.g. DX, OpenGL)
  • Strong skills in C++
  • Very good knowledge of advanced mathematics
  • Good communication skills
  • Ability and desire to work as a team player
  • Self-direction and motivation
  • Strong ability for analyzing and extending existing code
  • Fluent in English
  • Passion for making and playing games

Pluses:

• Experience in analyzing bottlenecks (GPU / CPU)

None of these bullets include Unity experience as a plus.

So for such position wouldn't another 1-2 years of C++ experience on a non game position would server me better than 1-2 years of experience in Unity?

Thanks,

Amit

Advertisement

So, your pitch to them is that you left the game industry to do something else for a couple of years rather than make games in your non-preferred language.

That's not going to go well with "Passion for making and playing games", and while they may want one released title, having released a mobile game a few years earlier and nothing since is not helping you on the professional history.

Also, they were asking for "many years" of rendering programming experience, from your initial post, I don't get the sense that you meet that requirement anyway

You asked if it would be better for you to move back outside of games rather than switch languages. I guess the question is, which is more important to you. To be programming games, or to be programming in C++? Because that's the question as you presented it.

Its more important for me to do games, but I want to move to working on AAA pc\console titles and not get stuck on mobile F2P games forever.

And regarding the "many years of experience" I wasn't saying I would apply to this sort of position in a year or two, but these are basically the requirements for my dream job.

As for rendering experience, I'm working toward a MSc degree in computer science and I'm going to write a thesis on something computer graphics related, so I hope this would improve my chances to get into graphics programming.

It sounds like you've already decided.

I certainly have not :)

So as I understand you think I should take it?

I think if, as you say, it's more important to you to be programming games than to be programming in C++, you should take it.

I wish I was young, but if I was, I'd ask myself: are those guys inspiring and fun and challenging to work with? It's a couple of years, and who knows where you will end up. You will meet new people, learn new tricks of the trade that you can carry with you.

Language is just a tool. It's what you do with your tools that matters. The more you know, the better.

You can always dabble in low level engine C++ hard core stuff on the side (in theory - I am not in the industry :p)

Too many projects; too much time

Thanks for all the feedback.

Eventually after they really talked me into taking the position I decided to go with it, we negotiated the terms and they sent me the contract.

I read the contract and replied and asked some questions about a few clauses for which the CEO did not have an answer and told me he would get back to me after the holiday we had with answers from his lawyer, so I waited and after the holiday I asked him whats going on and he replied on one of the clauses and said he's still waiting for an answer from his lawyer about the second, I started getting the feeling that something is up and then two days later I got a call from the lead programmer telling me they hired someone else.

I'm not saying they did something illegal but I do consider this a "dick move" as they really talked me into coming there and even told me that I can think it over and if there would be another potential candidate they would let me know, and I already said yes and agreed to their terms.

Also during the last week when I was waiting for answers regarding the contract I declined 2 companies that called me about jobs.

So I guess that wasn't the job for me, I'm starting my search again...

I read the contract and replied and asked some questions about a few clauses for which the CEO did not have an answer and told me he would get back to me after the holiday we had with answers from his lawyer ... I'm not saying they did something illegal but I do consider this a "dick move" as they really talked me into coming there and even told me that I can think it over and if there would be another potential candidate they would let me know, and I already said yes and agreed to their terms.

For most companies the employment contract is non-negotiable. Usually they let you attach list of previous inventions and projects that they don't claim ownership of, but that's about it.

You asked the CEO to talk to his lawyer about it. Think about that for a moment in terms of cost. You asked them to invest perhaps a thousand or so euros and several hours of time to answer your question. He answered one of them. Then you had more questions about another part of their standard contract, again at a cost.

All for a standard form that will be filed in a drawer and never reviewed.

While you are right in that you should understand the contracts, that is on YOU to research at YOUR cost, not on THEM to research at THEIR cost.

From reading your posts, you didn't really want the job. You wrote you didn't want to move, you wrote you weren't sure about the tasks, and you wrote that you had to be talked into the position. Then once they offered you a job despite your own protests to it, you questioned their standard forms and incurred costs more than once.

I'm thinking they made the smart decision there.

While you should absolutely follow your passions, be careful that you are not so picky that you reject your dreams because they aren't a 100% perfect match. Consider that you may be quite happy with a 95% match.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement