Looking for step my step guide for visual studio

Started by
42 comments, last by BigBadBeef 9 years ago

It is not rude. It is the truth. Why sugarcoat it?

He actually took some of his own time to write that answer, and all you can do is get butt-hurt.

You may not like what he is saying, but you will probably get nowhere if you don't follow his advice and chop up your goals into more manageable bits. Into goals that you can actually accomplish.

If you disagree, then "dignify yourself" carefully considering what he has to say instead of pulling this childish act of a drama-queen.

Too many projects; too much time

Advertisement

It was not my intention to be rude. One of the drawbacks of text is that you can't express the tone of your message and that makes a huge difference in the meaning. Regardless of that, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I could have done a better job of explaining my intentions. I definitely wasn't snapping at you.

I'm genuinely trying to be helpful and I'm recommending to you what I think your best course of action is. Starting with a 2d grid with triangle ships has some pros, but I believe there are more cons along that path. When you're learning how to develop games, having a clearly defined game is a huge boon. Also working through the step by step projects in the article I linked you'll be refining your programming, design, and organizational skills. Having these smaller projects you'll be able to see what works, what doesn't, and how you can refine your code for future versions.

If you start out with a simpler version of your project you're going to be tempted to keep building on the same project trying to make it into your final grand vision. Eventually it's going to be a bunch of mish-moshed code stapled together. Finding bugs and writing new features will be extremely difficult and when you look back on the jumbled mass of code you'll likely feel like you failed.

Again, I'm not being rude here. I'm not saying you suck. I'm saying you're a new developer, and you're going to make new developer mistakes. We were all new developers once, and we all made those mistakes. Including me! :)

My recommendation stands. Take a look at the article. Download Unity, and get it wired up with Visual Studio. (DO NOT USE UNITY'S BUILT IN EDITOR) Run through a few Unity tutorials and then write yourself a Pong clone.

Whether you take my advice or choose to go your own path, we'll be around to help you along your way with any questions you have.

Good luck,

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Look, my entire commenting section is dependant on the fact that we're talking on the same page here. I may not have the most recent programming knowledge, but would it not be logical to assume that since I came from programming school, that I've done this stuff before? I assumed you know all this.

We've literally done space invaders in turbo pascal before in school, it really is a matter of just learning code, syntax, not algorithms themselves. How best to approach this matter is another thing.

I also feel that since I'll be practising, I might as well do it on piece of what I'm planning itself. I feel like getting some triangles to manuever like boats and shoot dots at each other is a good place to continue my forehand knowledge. That graphics thing can come later.

To be honest, I would have gone to specialized language courses, but unfortunately I wasn't able to toss together the money for professional education. I might not get it on a piece of paper, but I am determined to know nonetheless and get it done. My country is so backwards that even I am seen as some woodoo mumbo jumbo computer wizard and because of that educators feel they have a right to rip us off with professional courses, but I digress...

I have taken seriously everything that has been said here and will consider my options carefully before proceeding... I mean it!cool.png

In the meantime I'm brushing up on the C# code.

I have decided the following:

Since this will not only be my first project, but also proof of concept, I will make a top-down 2D strategy game, because simply, for a proof of concept, there is really no need to make a fuss about it. And it will also save me some coding as I will only have a 2D grid to work with and not a 3D one.

Because this is my first project, I will chop up the features of the planned game into standalone components and will implement those into a planned game later, but only after I've mastered every individual component.

Considering all these factors now, do you still recommend I go for the unity engine on this one? Mind you that the emphasis on this game will a completely different approach towards unit control! Doing the AI will be completely manual! As will be the controls for the AI!

I would probably pick a leaner engine like MonoGame for a project like that, but I guess you can use Unity.

I think MonoGame will provide a more back to basics approach, but it's your call smile.png

<edit>

There's probably more code for AI, movement and basics out there for XNA/MonoGame than for Unity that you can incorporate/look at..

Several game development books has been written for X/M. But there's probably loads of resources for Unity, I don't know.

</edit>

Its not just about the AI, its also about unit control - I intend to do away with that old "select that unit - move it there" mechanic.

By the way, does MonoGame have advanced features such as Shading?

MonoGame has MGFX which is like MS FX: http://www.monogame.net/documentation/?page=Custom_Effects

It is still a bit "shady" on the GLSL front, but hopefully that changes.

So then, the only thing to work out is to decide between MonoGame or Unity... hmmmm.... dry.png

If you're doing a proof of concept, I strongly recommend Unity (or any full engine) over MonoGame.

MonoGame is a framework, and frameworks are great if you're wanting to do almost everything yourself. But let's say you want a panel with three buttons on the screen. In MonoGame, you're going to have to code up a Button class, a panel class, and probably a UI manager class, and probably a textureManager. Oh you wanted dynamic text on the buttons? Then you need a font manager. Oh, did you want to support more than one resolution so it looks good on widescreen and standard monitors alike? Write some more code for that... You want to disable the button? More code... etc.

Unity is a full on game engine. And they're great if you don't really care about the nitty-gritty details of every little thing. If you want buttons on the screen, drag a button onto the screen, set some properties, and code what happens when the button is pressed.

Take a look at the first couple of Unity tutorial videos and I think you'll be impressed.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Okay, lets say you have a "go scout somewhere" button on screen. Which of the 2 engines will allow me to more easily code:

1) The AI automatically selecting the most suitable unit (or units, depending on designated area size and/if the character has enough skill for it) for the task,

2) Guiding the unit completely automatically until the LOS of the unit has covered every nook and cranny in the designated area at least once,

3) Run away if there is massive enemy presence,

4) Fight other scouts if they are there,

5) Do all of the above that is dependant on: A) Unit's particular skills and B) Character skills and perks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement