Sign in to follow this  
snacktime

Eve online elements in a medieval setting

I have a sandbox pvp mmo where I'm trying to model some of the elements of Eve online that I like.  Overall the gameplay is a mix of Eve and say GW2.  Much of the functionality is already playable, running on live servers, it's not just in the design phase.

So one of the key tactical elements in Eve is stargates that act as chokepoints, and I've been trying to think of something similiar to put in the game.  Practically speaking it's not really possible to have different parts of the map that only have a couple of narrow access points, it's a huge open world that is procedurally generated then hand tweaked.  Hand crafting a world this size just isn't practical for an indie studio, so we had to take a compromise route. 

I was thinking that I can apply specific access points for trade via roads, which is kind of the angle I'm going with now.  I have npc cities and player run cities, and the general idea is you have to transport your goods from your player run city to an npc city to be able to sell to players outside your guild.  To transport your goods you have to stay on a road.  If you are on a road you can carry a lot of weight, if you go off, you become extremely  encumbered.  To make things more interesting I was going to put a couple of watch towers on the road between every player run city and the npc cities, and watch towers are also player controlled.  So if you own the watch towers, you effectively control the trade along that road (opposing factions will get easily killed if they don't bypass the watch tower, and you can't do that if carrying a lot of stuff).

Anyone have other ideas on this?

Edited by snacktime

Really Early medieval (coming out of the dark ages)

Alot of wilderness, transportation/communications/technology had fallen apart/ was lost

Sea lanes - ships did not go far from land, so coastal paths might be your 'chokepoints',  as would the few roads (the best roads, even in late medieval, were 1000 year old roman roads).   The usual mountain passes, river fords  (pick the scope where geography can be used  if possible)...

Edited by wodinoneeye

If the game has a market system similar to Eve's, won't this happen naturally? As people find good deals/move to fill markets, pirates will react and find the proper place to ambush them.

I totally agree with Servant. Mountains and oceans and rivers are natural chokepoints. And you don't need a strict chokepoint always, just one way which is significantly easier so people tend to use it. Let people travel downriver in boats quickly.

Also if it's more fantasy than medieval, keep magic in mind. Portals between the capitals of ancient forgotten cities would be both useful and add some mystery/adventure. Tell people they exist but not where. Have lore books that suggest how the ancients laid out their cities. Someone may find a portal and keep it secret, undercut the market by travelling faster than everybody else. People may realise and tail them. Cue murder, espionage, secrets spilled, regular trade routes, bandits, etc.

I'm in awe of how cool this game is going to be. If you are able to capture that quintessential essence of how Eve Online developers, community and how they intertwine perfectly; I believe you have something real cool on your hands. I agree a lot with what Servant of the Lord said, however I think believe that using Castles as choke points could also be wicked.

Add a new high score ranking based on accessing nodes.     Maybe tie in some non-combat related bonuses it like being a requirement to start some quests, getting better NPC results if you've activated nodes related to them in some way, maybe provide a title to people who maintain high scores for X hours of game play, and a title to the people who have achieved the highest number of nodes(max not current) in a period of time.

You travel to a totem/holy spot/site/node/whatever.   Activate it   Then are given hints to where the next closest one is.    

Every time you die your "nodes" activated score goes back to 0.