Skeletal animation in Assimp

Started by
18 comments, last by Pilpel 9 years ago

I'm trying to learn how to do skeletal animation in Assimp and, as many people told me already, it's pretty harsh.

Until now I didn't really care about the order of the nodes and the respect to each node's parent. I just queried each node's mesh(es) and uploaded the required data (vertices, uvs, normals) to the GPU.

The result was looking good. I could even display models (that could also contain animations) in their bind pose without errors.

So, after attempting to learn skeletal animation I have a two questions:

1. Each node has a Matrix4x4 mTransformation member and I don't know why. Is it supposed to transform the vertices of the related meshes? Until now I didn't care about this data member at all.

2. Is there a good book that covers this subject widely? The (many) online tutorials I found are hard for me to understand.

Advertisement

From the assimp docs: "mTransformation: The transformation relative to the node's parent."

The nodes (bones, frames, pick-a-name) form a hierarchy. The mTransformation is used to transform from the node's parent's space to the node's space in bind pose.

This article may give you a start in understanding skinned meshes (assuming that's where you're heading) and skeletal animation. In that article, the mTransformation you're asking about is called a "local transform."

From your description, it appears you're using only the transform for the node that "owns" a mesh. That's equivalent to using a world matrix to render a triangle. Skeletal animation of a skinned mesh is a whole new ballgame. That involves all the other nodes (without meshes) which represent the bones which will deform the mesh during animation.

You may want to look at Frank Luna's books Introduction to 3D Game Programming (he has one for DirectX 9 and one for DirectX 11). Also, Carl Granberg's Character Animation with Direct3D. I'm sure others will post their favorite books for various APIs (you don't mention what you're using for rendering.)

If you're not fully comfortable with matrices, and transformations from one space to another, you'll also need to spend some time brushing up on the concepts.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

From your description, it appears you're using only the transform for the node that "owns" a mesh.

What do you mean? I don't use the mTransformation matrix at all. How come I could display 3d models correctly until now if I haven't used it?

I render with OpenGL, btw.

I found this tutorial useful :

http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/www/tutorial38/tutorial38.html

It shows how to render a skinned mesh from Assimp, using OpenGL.

Hope it helps smile.png

I could even display models (that could also contain animations) in their bind pose

What do you mean? I don't use the mTransformation matrix at all. How come I could display 3d models correctly until now if I haven't used it?

You said yourself the models appear in "bind pose." If you're not using the local matrix for rendering the mesh then it's not in bind pose, unless the local transform happens to be an identity matrix. If the local transform for the mesh is an identity matrix, that's a result of the modeling technique, not your rendering application. In future, you may work with models for which the local matrices are not identity, and/or for which the local matrix must be multiplied by a to-root matrix to appear as expected. Rendering the mesh vertices without transformation may result in something that looks close to what you expect, but you're not displaying it "correctly" with regard to your programming routines.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

I found this tutorial useful :

http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/www/tutorial38/tutorial38.html

It shows how to render a skinned mesh from Assimp, using OpenGL.

Hope it helps smile.png

Didn't find that tutorial useful because its code relies on a system that was built in previous tutorials. The explanations weren't so good either. (that's just my reflection)

I could even display models (that could also contain animations) in their bind pose

You said yourself the models appear in "bind pose." If you're not using the local matrix for rendering the mesh then it's not in bind pose, unless the local transform happens to be an identity matrix. If the local transform for the mesh is an identity matrix, that's a result of the modeling technique, not your rendering application. In future, you may work with models for which the local matrices are not identity, and/or for which the local matrix must be multiplied by a to-root matrix to appear as expected. Rendering the mesh vertices without transformation may result in something that looks close to what you expect, but you're not displaying it "correctly" with regard to your programming routines.

That's weird. I did manage to render the next (pretty complex) 3d model without caring about mTransformation.

Untitled.png

Anyway, I'm currently reading the tutorial you posted. I'll come back here if I have any questions.

I found this post had some useful information I couldn't find anywhere else: http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/26382/i-cant-figure-out-how-to-animate-my-loaded-model-with-assimp/26442#26442

If you're rendering a model without worrying about the bone transformations, then you're not rendering an animated model. You're rendering a static model. That barbarian guy up there with his arms out in a T shape? Yeah, he's in his rest pose. That is how he was likely modeled from the start. If you want to render him as he picks up his axe and lops off a head, you're going to have to start worrying about those bone transformations because that's how it's done.

If you want to render him as he picks up his axe and lops off a head, you're going to have to start worrying about those bone transformations because that's how it's done.

I thought they were "node transformations" and not "bone transformation"..?

Also, as Buckeye stated:

Rendering the mesh vertices without transformation may result in something that looks close to what you expect, but you're not displaying it "correctly" with regard to your programming routines.

It seems that even without worrying about animations, not using the mTransformation data member produces incorrect (?) results, and I was just lucky that it displays the model correctly?

I thought they were "node transformations" and not "bone transformation"..?

The nodes (bones, frames, pick-a-name) ...

Also, from the article linked above:

What's a Bone? The term "frame" is used because it refers to a mathematical "frame of reference," or an orientation (SRT) with respect to (for instance) the world. The term "bone" is frequently used instead of "frame" because the concept can be used to simulate how a bone would cause the skin around it to move.

Add "node" to the list of synonyms. Assimp uses the term node.

I was just lucky that it displays the model correctly?

Yes. On the left - meshes without proper transforms. On the right - with proper transforms.

[attachment=26753:without-with.png]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement