• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rAm_y_

Unity Image file formats for Android

This topic is 1257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone explain image formats for Android. I have had a look in a few apks assets folders, some of the images seem to regular pngs however some are named png yet turn out to be webp format. Some files are named png and won't open in any editor one such file has ZOMG as it's first 4 bytes of meta data(file signature). Others, made with Unity, have no meta data and seem to be split files, other images seem to be uncompressed vector format.
I get the impression that some images such as the one with ZOMG meta data have their own custom image format, or encryption algorithm written in C (*.so libraries) so you can't view them, would this be correct?

Advertisement

afaik there is no such thing as Android image format..meaning there is nothing special about a certain image file format ( which I assume was what you are referring to )... A file is just a file..and the name does not necessary connotes the content of the file..which is what you are running into..the apt- tool compresses certain file formats based on extensions which I again assume why the files were names accordingly. 

An image can be stored in any format, as long as it can be read back in and its image contents reconstructed.

Images are nothing but data.  There is no such thing as an “Android format”.

What you are finding are mixes between existing formats and custom formats authored by Unity or some other tool or game engine.

Extensions mean nothing—I can add “.png” to the end of any file.  It is wrong to consider that it is necessarily a PNG file at all, let alone an encrypted one.

You should consider files with strange headers to be their own unique file.  The “ZOMG” files should for all intents and purposes be considered “.zomg” files.

L. Spiro

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!