Sign in to follow this  
haykan648

Starting Using OpenGL Or DirectX?

I'm little bit confused here

I think I know enough C++ and programming to start  OpenGl or DirectX(I don't know what are they called).

Which one is better to start with?

Which books and refrences do you recommend for starting ?

+ how about XNA, how is it ?

Thanks.

Which should you learn? Are you wanting to restrict yourself to Windows for life? Probably not, so I'd say both.

As far as which you should learn first, that is a personal choice. They both do the same thing, but in different ways. Pick one to start, but learn both.

If you used the search you would have found like 100 threads about this on gamedev alone and each time it gets into an endless discussion, which boils down to:

- check which works on the platform you use now (and maybe later)

- if both, as they have both the mostly same functionality, look 1min at some tutorial websites to see which API calls look more ugly to you or just throw a coin

but I don't like the fact it uses d3dx math (deprecated) instead of xnamath.

someone made a zip with ALL the tutorials rewritten for DirectXMath + DDSTextureLoader and I still have it on my HD somewhere if anyone is interested.

It's also a very good exercise to rewrite a couple of them yourself to get a good grasp of it.

Thank, I've decided to start learning Direct X  .

I'm now searching for resources and books,Anyone knows any resources and books for Direct X?

totally unstructured tutorials, but straight to the point:

http://braynzarsoft.net/index.php?p=DX11Lessons

totally structured tutorials, you'll end building a framework of classes, but I don't like the fact it uses d3dx math (deprecated) instead of xnamath. It give you a better organized vision of the whole thing, imo

http://www.rastertek.com/tutindex.html

I use both

I learned all i needed to bootstrap my learning of DirectX 11 from the braynzarsoft tutorials in a matter of weeks.

A couple of weeks later i was gutting out all the D3DX stuff, and replacing it with DirectXTK and DirectXMath. It's worth doing yourself as a learning exercise, rather than finding a zip of the "fixed" version someone else has already written, as you learn a lot about how DirectX is structured in the process.

Also, don't rely on someone else to 'help you build an engine'. Take the raw building blocks from a tutorial and mess with them, tidy them up, break them and mould them, before you know it you'll know more than you ever expected.

Good luck!

From the Forum Faq:

• "This" versus "that" threads [most especially OpenGL versus DirectX] are considered flame bait and will usually be closed on sight. Such questions have usually been asked before, several times, so there should be no need to ask them again.