Difficulty of making a strategy mmo?

Started by
10 comments, last by Tangletail 9 years ago
Someday I would like to make one--an online strategy mmo. I'm definitely not ready now, but I'm curious as to what it would take.

Now I'm not talking about making something like league of legends, or any crazy huge project like that. My idea is a lot more simple and I think simple is always better if done right. I have always been intrigued by the browser text-based build an empire type of games. In these games you are spawn at a random location on a world map with coordinates and you can find other players on the world map as well and make an alliance, go to war with other players (and NPC as well) and ofcourse you build up your city into an empire etc. Etc..

So the game would be 2d, good looking images but not too Many dynamic items, most things would be static, they don't change or move etc. Everything is calculated with numbers, how many soldiers you have, what are their stats, what about the enemy and then the calculations decide the outcome of the battle etc.

How hard would it be to make a game like this For mobile and browser? I see so many of them both on mobile and browser but I always find things I dislike about them so I am very passionate to making my own. Thanks.
Advertisement

How hard would it be to make a game like this For mobile and browser? I see so many of them both on mobile and browser but I always find things I dislike about them so I am very passionate to making my own.

It would be hard. So what? Why do you ask? What does it matter how hard it is? If that's what you want to do, learn what you need to learn, and just go for it.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy said, in his inauguration address, "We choose to do [these] things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." It matters not that something is hard to do, if you want to do that thing.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Would still be hard huh? Well, i'll keep learning. I i definitely understand what you're saying Tom, thank you for the inspiration.

Actually, I don't think it would be impossible hard.

If you leave out that initial 'M', of course; the one that stands for 'Massive'.

I think it would be way easier than creating a single-player game because no matter how much Herculean efforts you put into AI, it won't beat human players (no matter how dumb :p) - so, yes: go for it. :)

Too many projects; too much time

Hi there im new on this forum, but im making a browser game, thats based on RISK / Axis and Allies. But its Realtime, and with support for thousands of players on each map, playing as factions.

At first it was quite easy to be honest. My difficulties first came, with my game creator feature where players can submit their own svg maps, and it would convert into playable maps in my game trough a lot of manipulation, and coordinate checking, of which regions are neighbors etc. All this trouble could easily be skipped if you made a simple coordinate system like Evony, where all "regions" are simply points in a coordinate system.

There is also quite a bit of cheat-protection, as you know, you can never trust a clients input smile.png

City building shouldnt be a trouble either, nothing advanced in it.

There is a lot to keep track of, and a good database diagram is vital to keep your server alive. A couple of thousands players really do push a strain on your hardware smile.png

P.S You need to research some more into web sockets etc. to update your players when something happens, and if you find it to advanced, maybe consider the AJAX methods, but they are quite more ressource eating.

I've written online Web based games before and these are not hard to write. The difficulty comes in administration after the creation is done, detecting multis, detecting and preventing cheating, patching bugs and making sure the server is up. You need to plan for rounds and make iterative changes to the game some of which might be unpopular but essential. You also need a good financial model to make sure you are at least covering your hosting and time. I have observed creation and admin of many of these kind of games and am full of useful advice. If you have any more directed questions please just ask.
I would say, define a very very light version of the game with some of the features you want in your future game. Then make that light game and more important, finish it. If you achieve this, the next step will also be doable, because you just add a few or one more features (probably best to start over to learn even more). And so on, and so on.

A construction worker coming out of school will likely start just doing pavements, not building a scryscraper of train station at once :)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Luckily, there's resources already out there to help you. But the hard part is being financially stable.

Hi,

On a scale from one to ten ( 0 means somebody made it for you tongue.png and 10 means that it is the most difficult game ever made):

6 !

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Actually, I don't think it would be impossible hard.

If you leave out that initial 'M', of course; the one that stands for 'Massive'.

I think it would be way easier than creating a single-player game because no matter how much Herculean efforts you put into AI, it won't beat human players (no matter how dumb tongue.png) - so, yes: go for it. smile.png

TBH, when it comes to browser/mobile style "MMO:s" that extra M isn't all that difficult, those games tend to only have indirect interactions between players which makes scaling out a heck of a lot easier than it is for MMOs with realtime interaction between players.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement