Where can i start and how?

Started by
14 comments, last by Ovicior 9 years ago

My advice is to not start with an engine such as unity or unreal 4.

If you start by picking an engine, you go from having one thing to learn (your language) to having a thousand things to learn (your language, your engine, its scripting, it's quirks, the way it presents the graphics and audio to you, the asset store it uses, the object model it uses, and technical assumptions that may be beyond your initial abilities)

Start by picking something simple, a framework such as PyGame or XNA or MonoGame. The language you pick doesn't really matter, all games are written using not just a language but with a massive wealth of tools in a toolbox on top of that language, the framework or engine you use is that toolbox and if you are first starting out, you are best with a simple toolbox containing a couple of screwdrivers and a wrench, rather than a complete snap-on tool chest full of things you don't know how to use prorperly.

Good luck!

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I love the idea of making games and i have a lot of ideas for games and i really want to get into game development but i have no idea where to start.

First i don't know what language to learn, because i don't know what it's the best for 2D video games. C++ and Java are the ones i was thinking to get into but i have no idea which one of them to pick. I know that C++ it's used for 3D AAA games and it's popular but i don't really know if it's good for 2D not so big games, and it's actually hard to learn. I was thinking about Java but i heard that it's slower than C++ and it's more for web-based apps and games. So if you guys can tell me what language should i learn and how to start off making video games like if you know a tutorial that is good for what i'm looking for i would really appreciate your help. And i wanna use a game engine so if you know a tutorial that it's based on how to make games, in C++/Java, in that engine that would be great. tongue.png

P.S. I am not that much of a noob when it comes to programming, i understand what variables are and the type of variables, kind of understand what loops are and how to use them, if else statements and stuff like that. That's because i worked with GML (Game Maker Language), it's very easy to learn and that's why i used it to make some little games in Game Maker: Studio. I also read (not all of it just 30%) a python tutorial for game making with pygame.

Ask L. has said before, take advantage of your youthful ability to learn. That is, presuming you are young.

Perhaps start with C# or C and move to C++

Out of those two, C is a better choice because C++ is built on it.

I'm a newbie like you, and started with C# (Microsoft's ripoff of Java). I later (as of now) started learning C++.

Nightlone has made this comparison (Don't know if he stole it): C# is like a watergun. C++ is a real gun. It's easier to hurt yourself with a real gun.

"Ask L." My reaction to that was "OMG Ryuzaki" wub.png

I'm 15 soooooooo :D

Thanks everyone, i will go with Java and after i understand it well enough i will start learning C# and/or C++.As for the game engine I don't want to use Unity or a fancy game engine that is like 600$, i would rather go for something free and simple but i have to find a game engine for Java first rolleyes.gif which won't be hard thanks to google. tongue.png

The only downside of Java is Eclipse...... and Java of course lol

If you are on windows grab Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition. This is the FULL Visual Studio for free and you get C#, F#, VB.NET, C++ out the box along with one of the best IDE there is. You can also work with JavaScript and there are many languages that support .NET you can plug in. Also have NuGet support etc

C# really is a far far better language than Java imho :)

For Java you have two good options: jMonkeyEngine or LibGDX. The first is fully featured 3D game engine, the latter is more back to basics 2D oriented framework.

You could take both for a spin. ;)

Too many projects; too much time

"Ask L." My reaction to that was "OMG Ryuzaki"

L. as in L. Spiro

What will you make?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement