Sign in to follow this  
cephalo

Insurmountable limits on a touchscreen interface?

So I'm at the point in my game development where I have to start deciding on a UI framework. Tablets are all the rage these days, but I don't use one myself. The reason why that is, is because I'm a PC gamer. I like strategy games and the occasional first person shooter, things like Crusader Kings 2, the Civilization series, that kind of thing. When I start making my game, it will be a strategy game of some complexity.

Every touchscreen game I have ever seen is a casual game where you poke at things and get a response. Have any of you ever seen a complex strategy game on a tablet? Please name them if you have.

What I'm wondering is, for the games I like to play and presumably make, whether keyboard and mouse is the only way, and that the touchscreen will never be a replacement for that. I worry that trying to turn a PC game into a tablet game is a fools errand to be strictly avoided. 

What do you think?

Have any of you ever seen a complex strategy game on a tablet?

It depends how complex 'complex' needs to be. games like Kingdom Rush Frontiers and Plants vs Zombies are casual games on tablet with quite a lot of strategy to them. Projects of that kind of scale are also realistic for a dedicated individual or small team. I haven't seen a game as complex as Civ (for example) on tablet... But you're not going to make a game that complex on your own anyway.*

There are also mouse only video games that I think would work on tablet (though I didn't see them on tablet if they are on it). For instance, Black and White with its gestures system could work on a tablet, or a mouse-only game such as Age of Empires or Command and Conquer. Or in other words, from a UI viewpoint, an in-depth strategy game could be made for tablet, so long as you keep in mind it is played on tablet and get lots of people to play test your UI to make sure it's user-friendly and functional.

*If you're working in a team, you can obviously disregard this.

Only real way to know is to test it, make prototypes.

I've seen quite a few in development games(early access) that try to do new styles of gameplay using traditional mouse and keyboard, and it ends up extremely awkward simply because their idea of a control scheme doesn't match up with what the game wants you to be doing.

It isn't necessarily a point of "is this control type good enough for games of this style" it is more "can I pick a game design and control scheme that will feel good and workable on these platforms." I've tried shooters with touch screen and although it worked it does not in any way "feel good" in my opinion, things like that.

Take into consideration the limitations said above and think of how you can make it work.