Sign in to follow this  
dextercan123

Best CHEAP/FREE 2D Game Engine?

Hello everyone! I've been using Unity3D Free for making simple 3D games (all of which, I've never finished :/) for the past 6 months. At the moment, I want to try a new engine, but exclusively for 2D games, because I have a few ideas in mind.

The problem though, is that all of, what seems like the best 2D game engines, are way too expensive for me. I'm a 15 year old student. I definitely can't afford a game engine license of any kind. I want to make Android games since I will not need a Mac and iOS Developer's License (expensive as heck...) also, I already have an Android phone that I can test on. Also, a $25 lifetime license for the Google Play Store is not that big of a deal.

As of what I've seen, most engines only allow you to export to Android with an expensive license that I can't afford. I'm looking for an engine that will allow me to make good 2D games relatively easily, and can be learnt... easily. The only thing is that it must be a free license that allows me to export to Android. I don't care about royalties and stuff, because if I'm making enough money (not likely) to pay a certain percentage (say for example, after $5000, you must pay 5% of revenue) than I'm still happy. I really don't mind. The commercial license, to export to Android... just simply, must be free. not to mention, the engine itself has to be good though.

I'm not sure if I'm even making any sense, and if there even is an engine like that out there...

Thanks everyone! 

Hello everyone! I've been using Unity3D Free for making simple 3D games (all of which, I've never finished :/) for the past 6 months. At the moment, I want to try a new engine, but exclusively for 2D games, because I have a few ideas in mind.

The problem though, is that all of, what seems like the best 2D game engines, are way too expensive for me. I'm a 15 year old student. I definitely can't afford a game engine license of any kind. I want to make Android games since I will not need a Mac and iOS Developer's License (expensive as heck...) also, I already have an Android phone that I can test on. Also, a $25 lifetime license for the Google Play Store is not that big of a deal.

As of what I've seen, most engines only allow you to export to Android with an expensive license that I can't afford. I'm looking for an engine that will allow me to make good 2D games relatively easily, and can be learnt... easily. The only thing is that it must be a free license that allows me to export to Android. I don't care about royalties and stuff, because if I'm making enough money (not likely) to pay a certain percentage (say for example, after $5000, you must pay 5% of revenue) than I'm still happy. I really don't mind. The commercial license, to export to Android... just simply, must be free. not to mention, the engine itself has to be good though.

I'm not sure if I'm even making any sense, and if there even is an engine like that out there...

Thanks everyone! 

I know you want to try something new, but why not just use unity for 2d?  Its free, and you would already know how to do some things in it.  There isn't much that changes moving from 3d to 2d.  GameMaker and Constuct2 are both good as well, as SotL mentioned.

Unity 2D is actually surprisingly good. It was used to create "Ori: And the Lost forest" Which is actually a completely 2D game.

If you aren't making anything overly complicated, Unity has your back in the easy department.

Adobe Flash: Not a game engine, but very capable at making 2D games.

All options down below are open source. But learning them is going to be tricky. Practiclaly no documentation or tutorials for you to follow.

Cocos2D is an option. and It's done a pretty smashing good job. - Can use Javascript or LUA

Godot Engine: Is another option. And it's pretty good. - Has it's own scripting language. You can add capabilities for Javascript or LUA.

Atomic Engine Free: It's 2D module is open source. uses Java script.

Unity Offers that for free now I think. But you might want to think about that requirement however. You aren't typically going to get both. It will take some work to get that done. Just like it's going to take work to make a good 2D game.

Any game engine worth it's weight in salt can produce something amazing, but only as amazing as it's developer's skill.

Everything will require a large degree of coding from the user.

Edited by Tangletail

You could try Godot, which is completely free, but I'm not sure if you would consider it easy enough to use.  One of our community members has a fantastic series of tutorials (link is to part 1) on his website to help people get started.

You could also have a go at Unreal Engine's visual scripting system "Blueprints".  Unreal is a big engine and can be a bit intimidating, and you need a good computer to run the editor smoothly, but it may be worth a look.

Thanks everyone! 

You can give a try to WiMi5.

It´s a free cloud-based game editor which integrates payment gateways and eases the process of publishing in several web marketplaces. You can also download your games and package them as Android or iOS apps.

It´s based on a royalties model. It also includes a visual scripting system for creating the game logic. Would be great to have your feedback about the tool.

Edited by hafo

Thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate all of it! biggrin.png

I think that, for now anyways, I'll stick with Unity, because I'll probably make a transition back to 3D in the future, so might as well get used to Unity..! Thanks for your help. smile.png

I think that's a good idea.  I know that, personally, every time I run across a new engine/framework/language, I want to make something with it. It's mostly out of curiosity and because it's fun to play with new things, but it takes away from my end goal, making games.  Leaning a new engine/framework/language takes time, which is time that could have been spent learning how to make better games.  

You said that you've started a lot of simple games, but haven't finished any of them.  I'd suggest picking at least one and finishing it.  If you don't finish games in Unity, you won't finish them in any other engine.  It's easy to get distracted by all the tools out there, but finishing is incredibly important and will teach you a ton. Good luck!

You can use corona SDK too, it's free and have a lot of documentations or tuts and also you can compile to android, ios windows phone etc. It's a really good framework with a lot of support and a lot of article that cover all of your needs. That's is my first framework and for now i love it! 

Edited by masterviana