Question regarding game development

Started by
3 comments, last by Brain 9 years ago
If I work for a company to make a game can I leave at any point and start my own company? Will they be enthusiastic about teaching me how to make games even if I may leave them once and will it be impossible to go back to them ?
I doubt people will be so kind to let me into the industry I may be dreaming
Advertisement
If I work for a company to make a game can I leave at any point and start my own company?

Yes, unless you agree to a contract that says you can't. Typically these clauses are called "non-compete" clauses, and they may or may not be enforceable, although that's really a non-issue since you don't want to bother with the time and money required to fight the clause legally. Save yourself the trouble and strike any such clause from your employment agreement. It's also possible that your employment agreement will impose certain criteria on your employment duration, notice period, et cetera. Basically, read and understanding the things you sign.

Will they be enthusiastic about teaching me how to make games

An employer isn't going to teach you to make games. If they hired you it's because they expect you to have some basic proficiency in doing so already. You will learn things on the job, of course, and that is to be expected. If your ultimate goal is to start your own studio, keep that to yourself.

will it be impossible to go back to them ?

That depends on the company and the circumstances under which you left their employment.

I doubt I will ever make it into the industry though

Not with that attitude you won't.

Okay thanks for that information and telling me how it is

I just going to ask the same question. And this thread answered it all. Thanks!

In the end getting into the games industry is the same as any other industry you might want to become a professional in.

People leave their jobs and start their own companies all the time. Depending on how you leave your job, you might even end up being a supplier to your old employer (e.g. you write an engine or some middleware which they then license from your startup).

The key to this as in any professional endevour is to keep it cordial and never burn your bridges as it is a small world, and even if you hate someone's guts personally, you might still need them on a professional level some day.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement