Investing into a Game Project

Started by
12 comments, last by Orymus3 8 years, 11 months ago
Hey guys. I was lucky enough to inherit some money and part of that money i would like to invest into a game project.
Im lookin to put aprox about $30k-$40k
Is that a decent amount to create a decent project?

I currently dont have any ideas about what game or what engine or whatever im gonna do. Its just a thought which will take a while for me to make a final decision.
Just a general question this is
Advertisement

$30k is about 30 man-weeks of wages for a cheap developer, or 10 man-weeks for a more experienced one.

That could be enough to make a very small game, as long as you keep it very simple amd run the project well...

Typical small mobile games are probably more like 80 man weeks of work, or "indie games" could be hundreds. Typical PC/console games would probably be at least 2000 on the cheap side.

If you yourself were a developer, you could probably use $30k to pay basic living expenses for quite a while - maybe a year in an expensive western city, much longer in cheaper areas. If you're highly experienced, then this is much better value than hiring someone else for just 2 months.

You could co-invest in a larger project. e.g. if a small indie team has already spent $150k but needs a bit more, then you'd bring them up to $180k and be able to buy 1/6th of the company.

To be honest if you are looking to invest money, a game is extremely high risk. I suggest you speak to a financial advisor not ask here as that is a lot of money to throw into an industry you are unsure about.

I assume from your line of questioning that you are not experienced in the game industry at all and perhaps just enjoy playing games. What level of past experience do you have creating games, as this would help identify a bad investment from a good one.

Good luck and invest WISELY.

Only put 30k into a game project if you can definitely afford to lose that 30k! You should have low to very low expectations of returns on it, especially with little or no experience in the industry.

I don't understand why this was in the Job Advice forum. Moving it to Business.
As the other respondents said, $30-40K is not much money in terms of a game project. And nobody should invest in just one project - much better to invest in a company, a business. I suppose a raw and small indie might have a use for $30-40K but a wise indie owner would not want to give too much equity away, and of course a raw and small indie is a hugely risky investment.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hey guys. I was lucky enough to inherit some money and part of that money i would like to invest into a game project.

Congratulations. Might I suggest you pile it all in your back yard and set fire to instead? It will likely be a far more entertaining use of the funds and will have about the same net result.

It depends on what you mean by "decent," but in all likelihood, no, that is not on it's own enough to create a decent project. Certainly not one with a reasonable likelihood of giving you any kind of return on your investment. It will likely get you the salary alone for a single developer (for how long depends on how skilled a developer), and possibly some overhead costs. It will go further if you're planning to invest it into a pre-existing project, but that's not the impression you're giving.

I currently dont have any ideas about what game or what engine or whatever im gonna do.

Now this is confusing. Are you going to invest that money (with the hope of return), funding somebody else to make a game, or are you going to use that money yourself to buy yourself the tools, technology, et cetera you need to make a game? They are very different things.

Game development is not a safe investment, especially if you are not very familiar with the industry. I strongly encourage you to take that money you've got and pay yourself with it instead: ensure your emergency fund is well-stocked, pay down all your debts, and put the rest aside for longer-term financial gain by maximizing your contributions to tax-free or tax-advantaged account instead. Any reasonable financial advisor can help you with this (and will probably also strongly caution you off making such an extremely risky investment as trying to fund a game development project as well).

I currently dont have any ideas about what game or what engine or whatever im gonna do. Its just a thought which will take a while for me to make a final decision.
Just a general question this is

First thing you need to do is determine your financial goal with this investment. What are you looking to accomplish by investing this money? Do you have a dream project you want to realize? Are you looking for a specific return on your investment?

The reality is that throwing $30-40k at a project is going to result in losing it. And especially so if you don't have any professional experience behind it.

While I agree with the general comments regarding financial investment, I can also add the following:

If you like games, you might want to invest only a smaller part of your money to help talented (and professional) indie teams. This has a very high risk, but I'll detail in a later post why I think it's reasonable.

If you like games, you might want to invest only a smaller part of your money to help talented (and professional) indie teams. For example, we've a very professional project (with proper marketing etc.), but our USA team member just quit for different reasons. We are looking for a US team member who is willing to invest up to $2000-$3000.

Something about this doesn't sit right and maybe it comes across as a bit inappropriate?

I repeat my initial advice, speak ONLY to a qualified financial advisor and take no no other advice until you have done so...

(I removed the inappropriate part from my previous post.)

To further clarify my point: if he likes games, he should invest a small part of his money to a project he likes and finds convincing (financially and in other aspects as well). NO financial advisor can tell you what business to invest in without a serious risk. They will suggest you a portfolio, depending on how risky investion you want. But there will always be a "faith" factor. You can indeed lose all your money with it, but if anyone knew the recipe of what business to invest in, that person would be billionaire, have a Nobel-prize, and probably could rule the world. So the personal factor (and luck factor) is always there. If you don't invest at all to a very risky thing, your chance stays a guaranteed 0%.

So we should really know how much risk the OP is willing to take. This is what the financial advisor will first ask him, too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement