Sign in to follow this  
King of Men

Moving a variable declaration affects unit test...

So if I declare my class this way:

private:
  vector<ContractInfo*> obligations;
  map<EconActor*, double> borrowers;
  double discountRate;

then my unit tests fail. But if I do it this way:

private:
  double discountRate;
  vector<ContractInfo*> obligations;
  map<EconActor*, double> borrowers;

they pass. My heart fills with unbounded joy at the thought of tracking this one down...

I suspect I have a destructor somewhere that I ought to have declared virtual, but didn't. Any better guesses?

Turns out I was looking up an un-initialised variable, interpreting it as double, and consistently getting NaN in one case and some small but numerical value in the other. Not sure why the variable location should so consistently flip me between NaN and number, though. Unless perhaps it is the struct layout that does it; the value in question comes from dereferencing the end of that map.

You may have changed the size of the class due to additional (or few) pad bytes inserted by the compiler to correctly align the members. Check sizeof(the type) before and after, or use /d1reportSingleClass layout in VS.

Turns out I was looking up an un-initialised variable, interpreting it as double, and consistently getting NaN in one case and some small but numerical value in the other. Not sure why the variable location should so consistently flip me between NaN and number, though

Probably just coincidence...

Even though the value in this case is "undefined", in practice, it can be deterministic.

It probably was initialized as part of another object, that then went out of scope, and the memory then reused for this object.

Edited by Olof Hedman