• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Onequestiononly2

Remaking Mario 64 from scratch, how long?

This topic is 1251 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, so I'm currently making my own 2D platformer game. I have little knowledge about programming, but I'm able to make my own adventure game in Flashpunk.

How long would it take with today's technology to remake almost all of Mario 64 for one person with no previous skills in 3D gaming, but with pretty good skills in 2D gaming?

2 years of hardcore work, 16 hours per day?

10 years of hardcore work, 16 hours per day?

All of this includes learning 3D gaming whilst starting the development and doing the art alone. The sounds and music too, but you don't need to account for that.

Thank you

Advertisement

Cut your days to 8 hours, and get plenty of rest, and between 2-12 years.

Odds are you'll learn so much in the first 5 years you'll have a "bigger and better" idea to move on to. Or you're realize that working on long-term projects ARE work, and aren't fun, unless you only toss on a few hours a day max.

how long is a very bad question in the world of software development.

i have little knowledge doesnt tell so much. no one really knows you capabilities. how much a project take long depends on many different parameters. which tools are you using.

how much you know about them and you are comfortable with them. how your algorithms and procedures that you are writing for your game are complicated.

sometimes you are a very good programmer but you have to implement an algorithm that is so hard and maybe you work very fast but you get stock on that algorithm or gameplay. it doesnt just about a solo developer like you. you simply can see many big companies that care so much about quality like rockstar delay manytimes their release because they want better game.

i just can you tell some simple things. try to make a good architecture for your code implementations. maybe you say its boring and take longer time but it makes development simpler and faster. next one is protoype all your gameplay you want and make sure that is all you want and all of them work good and after that start art and level design

Maybe a bit off topic, but I would definately be willing to pay a few bucks for a good remake. Unfortunately nintendo and the world of law and all non-shared interests wont let this happen. Memories about the introduction are always good to remember :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!