Remaking Mario 64 from scratch, how long?

Started by
23 comments, last by Orymus3 8 years, 12 months ago

Okay, so I'm currently making my own 2D platformer game. I have little knowledge about programming, but I'm able to make my own adventure game in Flashpunk.

How long would it take with today's technology to remake almost all of Mario 64 for one person with no previous skills in 3D gaming, but with pretty good skills in 2D gaming?

2 years of hardcore work, 16 hours per day?

10 years of hardcore work, 16 hours per day?

All of this includes learning 3D gaming whilst starting the development and doing the art alone. The sounds and music too, but you don't need to account for that.

Thank you

Advertisement
Why the emphasis on 16-hour days? 16 hours of work per day will not get your game finished: It will get you killed.

Project: Not recommended.

2 years of hardcore work, 16 hours per day?

10 years of hardcore work, 16 hours per day?

Yes, between 2-10 years,sometimes more, somtimes less....

in other words: nobody can ever tell you, when it is a single person project, it depends solely on the skills of a single person. How should we ever guess which skills you really have mastered and which not.

Cut your days to 8 hours, and get plenty of rest, and between 2-12 years.

Odds are you'll learn so much in the first 5 years you'll have a "bigger and better" idea to move on to. Or you're realize that working on long-term projects ARE work, and aren't fun, unless you only toss on a few hours a day max.

The core technical work is actually not that bad - some guy did it in Unity for kicks.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/27/8299665/super-mario-64-pc-unity
The amount of assets comprising the game is pretty gigantic, though. Simple assets with simple textures, but still many of them. And various levels have enough special pieces to complicate the work considerably.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Nintendo took that down: http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/31/8319083/fan-made-super-mario-64-hd-replaced-with-nintendo-made-takedown-notice

Too many projects; too much time

how long is a very bad question in the world of software development.

i have little knowledge doesnt tell so much. no one really knows you capabilities. how much a project take long depends on many different parameters. which tools are you using.

how much you know about them and you are comfortable with them. how your algorithms and procedures that you are writing for your game are complicated.

sometimes you are a very good programmer but you have to implement an algorithm that is so hard and maybe you work very fast but you get stock on that algorithm or gameplay. it doesnt just about a solo developer like you. you simply can see many big companies that care so much about quality like rockstar delay manytimes their release because they want better game.

i just can you tell some simple things. try to make a good architecture for your code implementations. maybe you say its boring and take longer time but it makes development simpler and faster. next one is protoype all your gameplay you want and make sure that is all you want and all of them work good and after that start art and level design

How long would it take with today's technology to remake almost all of Mario 64 for one person with no previous skills in 3D gaming, but with pretty good skills in 2D gaming?

Four.
Maybe a bit off topic, but I would definately be willing to pay a few bucks for a good remake. Unfortunately nintendo and the world of law and all non-shared interests wont let this happen. Memories about the introduction are always good to remember :)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement