Need advice on learning OpenGL

Started by
6 comments, last by VXG 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I''m interesting in 3D programming and I''ve done plenty of research on this stuff to find the best language and API to do it with and I''ve decided to do it with C++ and (you guessed it) OpenGL. I''m currently learning C++ with the Teach Yourself C++ In 21 Days book and I''ve chosen OpenGL Superbible for learning OpenGL but I haven''t bought it yet because I have some questions about learning OpenGL in general and this book in particular. The thing that bugs me is that all decent OpenGL books use C instead of C++. If I only learn C++ will I be able to understand the examples given in the Superbible in C? Another question is, do I need to learn Win32 before learning OpenGL? I have a good Win32 book (Petzold''s Programming Windows, fifth edition), but as far as I know not much Win32 is used in OpenGL and I guess that whatever I need to know about it is covered in the Superbible. Also, I need some recommendations from someone who has learned OpenGL with the Superbible about whether I''ll need to read a 3D math book or not. I''ve heard that Superbible covers 3D math too, but I would prefer hearing comments from someone who has actually learned from it. And in case I will need a 3d math book which one should it be? VXG
Advertisement
y
Whow a lot of things to learn : C++ opengl win32...
First thing : if you can understand C++, you can understand C. Second thing : while win32 stuff is not required to learn OpenGL (use glut library or use NeHe basecode), you HAVE TO know some basics 3D math : matrices, trigonometry, vectors, etc... No need to have a book : google is your friend.
Third thing : Instead of the superbible, you can take a look at the redbook, avalaible online (see links on NeHe website). Btw, NeHe tuts are a very good way to learn ogl.

lunasol
Actually I think that the Superbible is the best way to start with. NeHe''s tuts are undoubtedly good, but a good book is better than any tutorials. And as for the Red Book, I know that it''s the ultimate way of learning OpenGL but it''s not aimed at beginners, at least not as much as the superbible. I''ve also found a couple of math and physics books aimed specifically at game/demo effects designers. They''ve just been published. Also, does anyone know of a good site which provides decent practical exercises in C++? The exercises in the book are awfully boring.
I''d rather buy "OpenGL Game Programming" by Hawkins and Astle. It starts with an introduction to Win32 API coding and to the basic math you''ll need to go further in game development. It got very high ratings too

Havok

i agree with Havok.
it takes you through all of the important stuff.
it even teaches you to use Direct Input and Direct Audio.
you can always use fmod or something but its cool to do it yourself.
it has some great examples and it teaches you through an object-oriented approach, which means that it is based on C++.
Make sure you know about Class Inheritance for this book though.
You should learn it in teach yourself c++. if not then find it or you may be a little confused later in the book.

BTW Lunasol: Who cares if you can find it on the net? You can bring a book anywhere you want to. Maybe not swimming or in the shower but u get the idea.
HelplessFool : Have you heard about the "printing" option of your browser
VXG : One way of learning i recommend you is to learn with progressives tutorials and when something is not clear or you want to know something deeper, take a look at a reference book, like the redbook or the superbible.
Well I read the super bible, opengl game programming, and some other opengl book and they all went back to Borders because it was mainly the same material that was written in three different books.
Super Bible uses GLUT and C....Glut is cool but C I didn''t learn. Game Programming was great for a begginer but once you get into the structs and modeling objects you''ll be lost for lack of C++ basics.....

My opinion to you , (like you wanted it) is to program the C++ basics learn about pointers arrays structs and classes and the same time read all the online tutorials which are better or just as good as any $50 book I have returned.

WHO DID YOU EXPECT...?
MAYBE SATIN!!!
WHO DID YOU EXPECT...?MAYBE SATIN!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement