Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viscous-Flow

30-30 rifle?

Viscous-Flow    122
Hi, I am doing this physics problem that deals with a 30-30 rifle and a bullet. It has to deal with conservation of momentum. I''m not really sure, but what does 30-30 mean? It''s in the problem statement, and I just want to make sure whether it is or is not relevant to the problem. I think it has something do with caliber, but I''m not really sure. So what is a 30-30 rifle? Thanks!

Viscous-Flow    122
I dunno, all I can find on the Internet is things on a 30-30 winchester rifle.

EDIT: They don't say what 30-30 means though...

Edited by - Viscous-Flow on November 11, 2001 5:42:45 PM

Viscous-Flow    122
I figured it out. I found the info on this webpage

Quoted from that webpage:
The rifle''s "30-30" refers to the type of cartridge (which is the assembly of a lead bullet, its brass case, and the black powder inside) for which the rifle was chambered (the same type of rifle can be built to accept different sizes of cartridges). The 30-30 cartridge uses a .30 caliber bullet (that is, the diameter of the bullet itself is 0.30 inch), and 30 grains of black powder (there are 7,000 grains to a pound--these pre-metric units of weight are so quaint).

I guess that means it is of no importance for the problem.

grhodes_at_work    1385
Okay,

This seems to be a homework question, which normally I don''t approve for this forum. But the question is not technical in nature so the question is borderline acceptable. The only remaining issue is that the question itself doesn''t relate to math or physics.

Since the question has been answered, I''m closing the thread.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.