ASCENT Platform Game

Started by
3 comments, last by Dean Clarke 8 years, 11 months ago

A CLASSIC PLATFORM ADVENTURE

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-qShd1Qe2r7NY7E1PGuJbA

http://ascentvideogame.jimdo.com/

Inspired by classic platform games such as Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Croc and Spyro, I am working on concepts for a large open world co-op platform game, ASCENT, in which two stranded heroes, Bluu and Blip, must ascend a gigantic tree to escape an alien world.

Encountering a ruthless species known as the Aphids, along with the aggressive wildlife of this mysterious planet, this makes for a dangerous and lengthy journey.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated! smile.png

Thanks,

Dean

Advertisement

I love the design of your website. Your YouTube channel looks great too. I noticed that you didn't make an inquiry in your post. Would you like feedback on anything?

Hi On Rye,

Thanks! smile.png Glad you like it,

Yeah feedback is much appreciated!

Dean

Ok. Well I have a gameplay suggestion for you. If you're going for a really retro feel, structuring your levels in acts or stages would work well with your current design. I know that a lot of retro platformers used this structure in the past (ex. Mario, Mega Man, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Sonic the Hedgehog). I'm not sure if you've ever played Sonic the Hedgehog 3, but below is a screenshot of one stage. The second is from Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. Third is Mega Man 3.

sonic_the_hedgehog3_ingame.gif3_kirby_the_amazing_mirror.jpgMegaMan3Inline_1226329100.jpg

I didn't really play Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, or Spyro (my cousin loved these titles though), so I don't really have a solid idea of the sort of gameplay you'd like to see in your game.

Yeah that's a good shout, I am intending for ASCENT to be very stage based. Though being a 3D platform game where each level is connected to the next, you have to complete (or mostly complete) an area before moving on, it becomes more open world and less linear as the game moves forward, eventually becoming pretty open world, with optional levels/bonus games etc.

Portals will be scattered around the map for quick travel, but you can only use these once they have been discovered.

Thanks a lot for the advice, still in the planning and concepts stage so this sort of stuff will help to mould the game!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement