WP 8.1 ePub reader with scrolling

Started by
7 comments, last by UnshavenBastard 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey.

Is there an ebook reader for Windows Phone 8.1 that supports at least the epub format and which allows to scroll at pixel resolution (tracking hand movement) by wiping? I.e. just like a normal good ol PDF reader on regular windows would do.

I don't want that damn page turning animation, or any whole page turning at all. It's beyond me why people like having the disadvantages of older media simulated, but I guess I'm weird.

Also, all I need is to read ebooks from my sdcard.
It would be nice if it can display technical books.

I don't want any shenanigans going on. No need to be online, not downloading / buying ebooks some places online as a prominent function of the program, no automatic sorting / categorizing and whatnot all the "cool" apps do. No other information besides book content and maybe "page x of y" on screen. One ebook reader even wanted to access my location, WTF? GTFO.

I've tried the first few free ones that show up in windows app store, none gets a pass.
Let it cost a few bucks, if it's good, I don't mind.

Is there such an app?

Advertisement

Doesn't require power, or a subscription fee!

Best thing is, you can read in bright light !

secret-book-icon.png

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

secret-book-icon.png

Your reading comprehension seems lacking, this fails numerous of my clearly stated requirements.

secret-book-icon.png

Your reading comprehension seems lacking, this fails numerous of my clearly stated requirements.

Code Fox was talking about a physical book. ( And IMHO talking with respect usually creates a better discussion )

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

secret-book-icon.png

Code Fox was talking about a physical book.

No shit. Hence my less than enthusiastic reply to that failed, lame ass attempt at humour. To try to be funny, he had to basically ignore almost everything I said.

Anyway, that answer doesn't get me closer to getting on my phone what I already have on my desktop and tablet devices (so my crazy thought that the existence of what I ask for may not be totally impossible... )

Do you need/want any support for DRM protected files?

I can't really help with suggestions, but may be worth poking around with possibly coding up your own reader if you're looking for very basic functionality.

And I agree that CodeFox's comments were rather useless and not remotely funny. You basically described wanting some kind of a truck, and he sat there and suggested you use a hammer instead.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Do you need/want any support for DRM protected files?

I can't really help with suggestions, but may be worth poking around with possibly coding up your own reader if you're looking for very basic functionality.

And I agree that CodeFox's comments were rather useless and not remotely funny. You basically described wanting some kind of a truck, and he sat there and suggested you use a hammer instead.

I don't think I need DRM support, no. IIRC none of the software I used so far supports this but reads all my files, so...
Coding my own, heh, I just had that in mind although not really much time for such things.
I'd probably be easier to switch to an Android phone and be flooded with apps, so far I like the WP8 thing better than my (little) Android experience, though, and I like HERE Drive+, which is why I have that phone.
I guess I might wind up schlepping my tablet around more before I go to more drastic or effortful measures ;-)

You basically described wanting some kind of a truck, and he sat there and suggested you use a hammer instead.

I was trying to be ironic ( but failed ) . 2 people I know from work lost thousands of $ worth of virtual books when the service they subscribed to ceased to exist .

ANYWAY Adobe Reader supports ePub3 and is available for the WIN Phone 8 .

Edit: FBReader also scrolls .... runs ePub, ePub3 and quite a few exotic formats.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apparently, FBReader cannot open ebooks from sdcard yet, so it's useless.

But your mentioning the infamous bloatware producer Adobe made me look whether there might be a mobile version of Foxit reader - and indeed there is! (for WP8, Android, iOS).

It works as expected.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement