Game Engine that will meet my requirements - Part 2

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 8 years, 11 months ago

I started the idea here: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/659094-game-engine-that-will-meet-my-requirements/

After almost a year, I'm coming back, same ideas, but things have changed.

I started by learning C# and I did that for about 2 months, then, school began, and I had to learn C++ in school, though, with my already existing C# knowledge, the stuff I was given at school was so easy(after 1 year of study, my schoolmates barely got into bi-dimensional arrays), so I started going more in depth and because of that, I abandoned C#. Then, because my teachers noticed that I know a lot of stuff in programming,they helped me make my way to the National Olympiad in Informatics, here in Romania. Well,then I left aside C++ and started web design and I pretty much managed to learn everything useful in HTML, CSS and Javascript, and I also managed to make simple games with those(very simple ex: http://logicsquares.do.am/ , I'm still working on it in my free time).

So, those said, I still want to make my own game based on the ideas in my old topic, but I don't know where to start, would you guys give me some pointers?

Advertisement
What is the question?

For a 2d rpg, you can do 2d pixel blitting in monogame, sdl, or raw platform gui code. Alternatively, you can do a 2d/3d hybrid usibg low level apis like monogame, opengl, or directx - or engines like unity or unreal. Which you choose depends on you and your goals. I suggest monogame or unity.

This may depend on how you are getting art. Do you have an artist partner? Art skills? What kind of art do you want?

What is the question?

For a 2d rpg, you can do 2d pixel blitting in monogame, sdl, or raw platform gui code. Alternatively, you can do a 2d/3d hybrid usibg low level apis like monogame, opengl, or directx - or engines like unity or unreal. Which you choose depends on you and your goals. I suggest monogame or unity.

This may depend on how you are getting art. Do you have an artist partner? Art skills? What kind of art do you want?

It wasn't really a question, more of a "please get me started".

Art isn't a problem, I'm a very good artist (both pixel-art and 'smooth' art).

What is your main goal?

Is your priority to learn, improve your skills, and understand how games work "under the hood" whilst making your game,

-OR-

is your priority to get the best quality game you can make done as quickly and easily as you can?

- Jason Astle-Adams

What is your main goal?

Is your priority to learn, improve your skills, and understand how games work "under the hood" whilst making your game,

-OR-

is your priority to get the best quality game you can make done as quickly and easily as you can?

My main goal is to do the game, lol.

1st one suits me better.

My main goal is to do the game, lol.
1st one suits me better.

Unfortunately that conflicts a bit -- your main goal could either be getting the game made (the second option), or learning whilst making the game (the first option).

The point I was going to make is that you should use a higher level engine or library with a language you're experienced with if you just want to get the game made (second option), or might choose a lower level library or API if your goal is more about learning (the first option).

Based on your brief description it sounds like you know some C#, some C++, and some JavaScript.

Based on that, if your main goal is to just get the game done (second option) I might recommend using Unreal Engine (C++ and a visual scripting language called Blueprints) or Unity (C# or a JavaScript-like language called UnityScript), or if your main goal is learning (first option) I might recommend MonoGame (C#), or a JavaScript framework such as Impact, Phaser, etc.

If you just want to get the game done you try to find an engine that is as complete as possible and offers as many features as possible for your game.

If it's more about a learning experience you choose a lower level framework and implement more of the functionality you need for yourself.

Honestly, not a lot has changed since last time you posted except for the following:

• You have a little more experience, but unfortunately a lot of it (the web development stuff) isn't highly relevant.
  • Unreal and Unity both changed their pricing plans so that they're a much better deal for hobbyists and small developers.

Really, you just need to pick any option, get to work with it and then stick with it till your game is done.

Hope that helps! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement