3dtextures

Started by
6 comments, last by pacrugby 22 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone have any info on using 3dtextures for volume visualisation. I was hoping to use this feature instead of the marching cubes algo. Is this a good idea? TIA
Advertisement
No, not a good idea. Why? Only 1 card support 3D textures, and those textures require a massive amount of memory.

what card is that? not saying he should use 3d textures or that u are wrong but i''d like to know.
The GeForce3 supports 3D textures And I bet some of the high end ones will as well 3DLabs(thay still around?), sgi ect... but he is right it takes a lot of mem and is not the best way to go(IMHO).

Edited by - Validus on November 12, 2001 5:19:48 PM
I would guess nVidia''s GeForce3 should be able to do this as they have the most advanced technology(However TrueForm would have been nice). Yes I am an nVidia Fan, my only non-nVidia 3D-Card was a VooDoo3 and I regret it!

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
No, not a good idea. Why? Only 1 card support 3D textures, and those textures require a massive amount of memory.

Only one? Pff, yeah right. Lets see here: A few 3DLabs cards support it, the GeForce3, the Radeon, the Radeon 7500, the Radeon 8500, and about a handful of others.
I have a wildcatII 5110
so it can definitely do it.
It even supports 4d textures what ever they
use them for.
There are some examples for
ati cards as well.
They use it to look at medical data.

I just looking for some more info.

The reson it would be so helpful is because I could use
it to look at the surfaces generated by the marching cubes algo
but also use it to look at slices through the data.

Edited by - pacrugby on November 12, 2001 5:57:05 PM
To the original posters'' point using 3D textures would not eliminate the need for the marching cubes algorithm as you''d still need to calculate faces on the "blob". I don''t see how using a 3D texture improves the situation at all. Maybe it''s just me though. Care to elaborate pacrugby?

-fs

http://www.CornflakeZone.com
//-- Modelling and animation in every dimension --//

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement