• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriema

Builder Database question

This topic is 6038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! My friend(s) and I we''re thinking of making a game together. The "problem" is that my friend have drawn about 200 pictures, which is really hard to keep track of. I''m not meaning graphics to use in the game, I mean concept-art. Either way! Since I''m the programmer I was thinking of making a simple database program, to keep track of the images. Full with info and stuff I know how to implement a database in Borland Builder and basic functions with it. ¤ But HOW do I bind images (.bmp, .jpg, etc) with the database? Separate files and "hyperlinks" to them or merge them into a gigantic file? ¤ Which kind of database is best to use? Access, .db, etc... Thanx... }+TITANIUM+{

Advertisement
Builder comes with a developer version of Interbase, doesnt it? Why not just use that?

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts

Hi there,

If its not going to be massive and does not
require extensive searching, or a large amount
of users I would go with a simple Paradox table.

If the images are static :-

Then just create your image field as type image
and bind this to a TDBImage control in the
same way you would do text then to write the
image to the dataset just do

DBImage1.DataSource.DataSet.Edit;
DBImage1.Picture.LoadFromFile(FileName);
DBImage1.DataSource.DataSet.Post;

or something simular.

Else

Just store the filename and path.

Hope its of some help.

Mark.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!