Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ConstraintError

How to get back to a 3D model from a tileset ?

LilBudyWizer    491
The lack of depth information would pretty well prevent it. An artist could do it, but it is still a pretty far off dream to get a computer to do some tasks that are relatively simple for talented humans. If you just lost the mapping between animations and models you could most likely do that. You would just regen the animations and set the computer to comparing images. You could most likely even get a neural net to find the camera positions and perhaps a few other parameters for generating the animations given the model and target animations. I don''t think you are going to get an AI to take the animations and build a model though.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
yes there are programs that can do that, I have heard of several but don''t remember any names. that is foolish to think that going from 2d to 3d is impossible. especially for a tileset of a model at regular intervals, you should be able to get a clean 3d model. one unavoidable problem you will have is that your tileset if probably low resolution, and the computer cannot imagine detail.

invective    118
Supposedly Metacreations Canoma can do this, but I've never tried it.

http://www.metacreations.com/products/canoma/

Edited by - invective on November 13, 2001 3:17:54 PM

Just for information, metacreations has sold Canoma to Adobe last year and now Canoma is dead, and so are all links dealing with it.
However, while browsing, I found an interesting tool, that is FREEWARE (yes, you read well) and can do exactly the same.
The URL is:
www.photomodeler.com/Lite/

LilBudyWizer    491
Hehe, when AI fails use a human. I became a programmer since I hate doing anything manually so I often forget that is an option. Well, anyway, since the sum total of my artistic skill is the ability to draw a straight line with the assistance of a program that might prove to be a handy program.

3dcgi    127
Here is another product that is a little different in approach than photomodeler. It''s called D Sculptor.

I also have a page at my web site that talks about these type of programs.
http://www.3dcgi.com/cooltech/modeling/image-modeling.htm