Books to help me learn Programming Languages

Started by
1 comment, last by lede 8 years, 10 months ago

What language should I know before tackling C, C# and C++? Java, Flash or Python?

Can you please recommend any book to me to get started, well I already know html and the basics of Java and Flash?

What method do you think will make it easier to learn programming languages?

I'm basically looking for a book who explains stuffs not like this online tutorials where I needed to use Google just to understand what are does those tags and terms really means. By the way, I'm just a high schooler who wants to be a game programmer.

Advertisement

Why bother? If you want to actually FINISH some kind of game take Unity.

Here you go: youtube video tutorials on simple things

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/roll-a-ball

What language should I know before tackling C, C# and C++? Java, Flash or Python?

Can you please recommend any book to me to get started, well I already know html and the basics of Java and Flash?

What method do you think will make it easier to learn programming languages?

I'm basically looking for a book who explains stuffs not like this online tutorials where I needed to use Google just to understand what are does those tags and terms really means. By the way, I'm just a high schooler who wants to be a game programmer.

The first class I've always had to take in Collage didn't really have a language to work with but was just learning how to create flow charts and write psudo code. These may seem antiquated or trivial but many times I have had to take difficult concepts and draw them out on paper to see how they should flow before writing code. Here is the last book I got a few years ago when I went back to Collage to finish my degree in game programming:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Logic-Design-Comprehensive-Farrell/dp/1423901967

As an essential learning step this teaches some logic and understanding of how code works. Once you have this basic knowledge down learning just about any language turns into learning syntax instead of both syntax and structure design. Next would be to start learning Object Oriented Programming (OOP) which a lot of the modern languages today support. As Samari Jack stated just use a game engine like Unity3D but even then knowing how to extend this game engine it would be good to know C#. So this might be the first language you should learn how to program in. I know both C# and C/C++ and many times I jump between them in a day. C# has been growing on me lately because of the many different project I have been able to tackle.

I highly recommend you learn an easier language like C# or JavaScript which are both powerful OOP languages. Once you have learned and done a few projects in these languages you should be ready for the more powerful languages like C/C++ or Java. don't try and learn every language you can in a month. Set some realistic goals when your learning a programming language and create projects that you can complete withing a given time period.

One tip I can't stress enough and it doesn't matter which language you use. Learn to write good comments of your code. Years later when you look back at your code if you have good comments things will make more sense. But if you just have a bunch of code it maybe hard to follow and take you more time to figure out.

If you can find a code buddy or mentor this will help because they can help steer you on a regular basis. When I switched from programming in ColdFusion to PHP I had a code buddy to help me along the way which was invaluable to make this transition. Today my code buddy now asks me for help.

If you have more questions feel free to ask so we can help point you in the right directions. Good luck and happy learning!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement